Wayne Johnson (Alabama)
|Alabama House of Representatives District 22|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
Johnson's professional experience includes working as a substitute teacher, court bailiff, criminal investigator and deputy sheriff for Madison County. He served in the United States Army.
Johnson served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Criminal Justice
- Madison County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Subcommittee on Homeland Security and Immigration
Johnson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Lowering taxes on individuals and small businesses to create new jobs
- Securing our fair share of funds for local roads and schools
- Cutting wasteful spending, demanding accountability and restoring fiscal discipline
- Supporting Volunteer Fire Departments and law enforcement across our community and making sure they have the tools they need to protect us
- Partnering with local officials to build a new Senior Center and Storm Shelter in our community
- Fighting liberal special interests in Montgomery and Washington to stop Obamacare and protect our Second Amendment
Johnson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Create new jobs
- Excerpt: "Lower taxes on individuals and small businesses to create new jobs in our district and across Alabama."
- Pass the "Arizona Law"
- Excerpt: "Pass the "Arizona Law" to fight illegal immigration and make it easier for state agencies to work with and assist the federal government in this fight."
- Protection from Obamacare
- Excerpt: "Pass legislation to protect Alabama from Obamacare and wasteful stimulus bills that harm our American way of life and the lives of future Alabamians."
- Four year property appraisals
- Excerpt: "Return property appraisals from each year to every four years."
- Get our fair share
- Excerpt: "Bring an end to the unfair amount of our tax dollars being sent to the rest of Alabama and secure our share of funds for local roads and schools."
- Support police and fire
- Excerpt: "Support Volunteer Fire Departments and law enforcement throughout the district and make sure they have the equipment to protect our community."
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Dennis Stephens was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Ritchie Whorton defeated incumbent Wayne Johnson in the Republican primary. Stephens will face Whorton in the general election.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 22 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Wayne Johnson Incumbent||41.6%||2,018|
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 22 General Election (2010)|
|Wayne Johnson (R)||9,523|
|Butch Taylor (D)||5,177|
In 2010, Johnson raised $150,433 in contributions.
His five largest contributors were:
|Alabama Republican Party||$99,353|
|Friends Of Mike Hubbard||$19,500|
|Alabama Forestry Association||$5,000|
|Alabama Trucking Association||$2,500|
In 2014, Johnson's endorsements includedd the following:
- Madison County Local Farmers Federations
- Jackson County Local Farmers Federations
- Alabama Citizens for Life
- Huntsville / Madison County Builders Association
- Alabama Retail Association
Johnson has two children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of September 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Wayne + Johnson + Alabama + House + Legislature" Wayne Johnson News Feed
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- House site
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Wayne Johnson, "The Plan," accessed May 7, 2014
- Wayne Johnson campaign website, "Issues," November 2, 2010
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 13, 2013
|Alabama House District 22
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|