Wayne Wales recall, Iron County, Michigan (2012)
Path to the ballot
Recall organizer Gene Olson submitted petition wording to the Iron County Election Commission on July 28. The commission approved the language as clear. The petition language reads:
"Shall Wayne Wales, Iron County Commissioner from District 1 be recalled for not representing the best interests of his constituents? Commissioner Wales has been negligent in overseeing the county budget and for not representing the senior citizens to ensure their needs are met through various programs provided by Dickinson-Iron Community Services Agency (DICSA)."
In order to get Wayne's recall on the November 2011 ballot, supporters would have needed to collect 276 signatures by August 6th. Recall supporters did not meet this deadline, but they continued to seek signatures to get the recall on the February 2012 ballot.
Recall supporters ultimately did collect enough signatures to force a recall election, and that election was scheduled for February 28th, 2012.
- Iron County, Michigan website
- Recall supporters give their side of the story
- Wales answers recall petitioners
- Iron County Reporter, "Baumgartner Road a priority ," January 10, 2012
- Iron County Reporter, "Election results: status quo rules," March 2, 2012
- Iron County Reporter, "Wales answers recall petitioners," August 16, 2011
- Daily News, "Wording approved for recall of Iron County Board chair," August 4, 2011
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |