|U.S. House, Alabama, District 1|
The seat was vacant following the resignation of Rep. Jo Bonner, effective August 15, as the result of a decision to take a position as vice chancellor of government and economic development at the University of Alabama.
Griffith ran for the U.S. House representing the 1st Congressional District of Alabama. The election was held to replace Jo Bonner, who announced his resignation on May 23, 2013, in order to take a position as vice chancellor of government and economic development at the University of Alabama.
He was defeated in the Republican primary on September 24, 2013. No candidate secured more than 50 percent of the total vote, requiring a runoff primary on November 5, 2013. Bradley Byrne and Dean Young were the top two winners and faced off in the runoff primary. The winner advanced to the general election on December 17, 2013.
|U.S. House, Alabama District 1 Republican Primary, 2013|
|Source: Unofficial results via Associated Press|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Wells + Griffith + Alabama + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- AL.com, "Republican Wells Griffith to run for AL-01 congressional seat" accessed July 10, 2013
- blog.al.com, "BREAKING: Rep. Jo Bonner resigning from Congress," May 23, 2013
- AP Results, "Alabama Special Election Primary," accessed September 24, 2013
- Associated Press, "Alabama - Summary Vote Results ," accessed September 24, 2013
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|