Wendy C. Dominique
|Wendy C. Dominique|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, Seat G|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||October 1, 2013|
|First elected||October 1, 2013|
Dominique is unopposed for the Seat G position in the general election on October 1, 2013.
Dominque won election to the board without opposition on October 1, 2013.
|Fairbanks School Board, Seat G, October 1, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Wendy C. Dominique||96.4%||6,126|
|Source: Fairbanks North Star Borough|
As of September 25, 2013, Dominique has not disclosed any campaign finance expenditures or contributions to the Alaska Secretary of State.
Dominique has not received any official endorsements for her campaign.
What's at stake?
Three positions including the president position currently held by Kristina Brophy are up for election on October 1, 2013. The most significant controversy currently facing the school district is a Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly proposal to allow Fairbanks North Star Borough School District employees to carry firearms on campus.
The district has three charter schools. The Chinook Charter School serves grades K-8 and utlizes a Montessori style education system. The Effie Kokrine Charter School is a charter school serving students in grades 7-12 focusing on a college prepatory curriculum with a culture grounded in Alaska Native culture and traditions. The Watershed School serves grades K-9 and emphasizes nature education as well as a traditional curriculum.
Home school program
The district offers a homeschool program, Fairbanks B.E.S.T., which serves approximately 265 students. B.E.S.T. offers staff to help parents with curricular development, students to participate in school activities, the opportunity to enroll in up to two classes at district schools, and 24/7 technical support.
About the district
Fairbanks North Star Borough outperforms the rest of Alaska based on percentage of people below poverty level and high school graduation rates, while slightly underperforming the rest of Alaska in median household income. The median household income for Fairbanks North Star Borough is $68,922 when compared to $69,014 for the state of Alaska. The percentage of people below poverty level for Fairbanks North Star Borough is 7.8% while it is 9.5% for the state of Alaska. 93.0% of persons over the age of 25 have a high school degree, while 91.4% of Alaska residents have a high school degree. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 27.7% of Fairbanks North Star Borough residents aged 25 or older have a bachelor's degree, while the same rate is 27.2% for the state of Alaska.
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, Alaska
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District Elections (2013)
- Fairbanks, Alaska, "FAIRBANKS NORTH STAR BOROUGH OCTOBER 1, 2013 REGULAR ELECTION OFFICIAL CANDIDATE LIST," accessed September 25, 2013
- APOC Online Records, "2013 Statewide Municipal Candidates" accessed August 2, 2013
- State Charter School Directory
- Chinook Charter School, "About" accessed August 7, 2013
- Effie Kokrine Charter School, "About" accessed August 7, 2013
- The Watershed School, "School Philosophy" accessed August 7, 2013
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, "Fairbanks B.E.S.T. Report Card" accessed August 7, 2013
- Fairbanks B.E.S.T. "About" accessed August 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska Quickfacts" accessed August 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau "2010 Census Date" accessed August 6, 2013