|Vermont State Treasurer|
|High school||South Burlington High School (1977)|
Wilton ran for Vermont Treasurer in 2012. She ran unopposed in the August 28 Republican primary. Democratic incumbent Elizabeth Pearce and Progressive Party candidate Don Schramm were also unopposed in their respective parties' primaries. The three candidates, in addition to Liberty Union Party candidate Jessica Diamondstone, ran in the general election on November 6, 2012 where incumbent Pearce was victorious.
|Vermont Treasurer General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Elizabeth Pearce Incumbent||52.3%||147,700|
|Liberty Union||Jessica Diamondstone||2.5%||6,939|
|Election Results via Vermont Secretary of State.|
In announcing her campaign Wilton stated, "I am seeking the office of state treasurer because I am concerned about the independence of the office and poor ratings regarding transparency and accountability. The state of Vermont recently received a D minus from US Public Interest Research Group, relating to state spending disclosure. That needs to change."
On her campaign website, Wilton says she is concerned about the following five issues:
- "$3 billion in unfunded liabilities for the state employees' and teachers' retirement funds"
- Current unfunded liabilities are nearly $5,000 for each Vermonter, $10,000 for each working Vermonter"
- Systemic budget deficits and over-reliance on federal funding"
- "VT's poor ratings in transparency and accountability: D minus from USPIRG and D plus from CPPI"
- "Future of the state's bond ratings due to excessive long term liabilities"
Wilton lost the election to the position of Vermont Treasurer in 2012. During that election cycle, Wilton raised a total of $99,283.
|Vermont Treasurer 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Wendy Wilton's campaign in 2012|
|Vermont Republican Party||$21,000|
|Eileen and Raymond Gadue||$2,000|
|Lenore F. Broughton||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$99,283|
|Source:Follow the Money|
- Official campaign website
- Facebook campaign page
- Wendy Wilton on Twitter
- Wendy Wilton on LinkedIn
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2006, 2004
- Wendy Wilton, "Homepage," accessed July 5, 2012
- Vermont Secretary of State, "Unofficial election results," August 28, 2012
- Vermont Public Radio "Campaign 2012 Election Results" Accessed November 6, 2012
- Vermont Secretary of State Elections Division, "2012 Candidate Listing," accessed October 19, 2012
- Burlington Free Press, "Republican Wendy Wilton files to challenge appointed Democratic treasurer," June 12, 2012