West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, Wisconsin
|West Allis-West Milwaukee School District|
|West Allis, Wisconsin|
|Graduation rate:||91.1 percent|
|Number of schools:||18|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Patricia J. Kerhin|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in West Allis-West Milwaukee School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtWest Allis, Wisconsin, a city located in Milwaukee County. According to the United States Census Bureau, West Allis is home to 60,732 residents.
West Allis underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 21.0 percent of West Allis residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4 percent for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in West Allis was $44,066 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in West Allis was 14.2 percent compared to 12.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The superintendent of West Allis-West Milwaukee School District is Kurt Wachholz as of April 21, 2014.
The West Allis-West Milwaukee Board of Education consists of nine members elected at-large to three-year terms. The board president earns $260 per pay period and other members earn $225 per pay period as compensation for board service. Each member receives an annual salary increase of two percent each May.
|West Allis-West Milwaukee Board of Education|
|Patricia J. Kerhin||2015|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on April 1, 2014. Three seats will be up for election in April 2015 and three seats will be on the ballot in April 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Education maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2010:
Opportunity will be provided for the public to speak at regular meetings of the Board of Education meetings as follows:
1. Individual citizens will be allowed to address the Board for up to three (3) minutes. Citizens who wish to address the Board for more than (3) three minutes shall contact the Board President or the Committee Chair in advance of the meeting for consideration of their request for additional time.
2. If public comments go beyond 30 minutes, time may be extended an additional 30 minutes upon majority vote of the Board members present at the meeting.
3. The presiding officer of the meeting may permit questioning by Board members or the Superintendent after each presentation by citizens which relates to a subject matter included on the noticed meeting agenda.
4. Representatives presenting the written authorization of organizations will be provided time to present their official positions. Public participation at special Board meetings may be permitted depending on the subject matter of the meetings at the discretion of the Board President.
—West Allis-West Milwaukee School District's campaign website, (2014), 
West Allis-West Milwaukee School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The average salary for a teacher at West Allis-West Milwaukee School District during the 2013-2014 school year was $50,231. The minimum salary was $37,844 and the maximum salary was $74,559 according to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
Schools in West Allis-West Milwaukee School District
The district served 9,725 K-12 students during the 2013-2014 school year. The district experienced an 11.1% increase in enrollment between 2009 and 2013. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2009 and 2013:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
West Allis-West Milwaukee School District operates 18 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|West Allis-West Milwaukee Area School District|
|Frank Lloyd Wright Intermediate School|
|Franklin Elementary School|
|Hoover Elementary School|
|Horace Mann Elementary School|
|Irving Elementary School|
|Jefferson Elementary School|
|Lincoln Intermediate School|
|Longfellow Elementary School|
|Madison Elementary School|
|Mitchell Elementary School|
|Nathan Hale High School|
|Pershing Elementary School|
|Shared Journeys Charter School|
|Walker Elementary School|
|WAWM Learning Center|
|West Allis Central High School|
|West Milwaukee Intermediate School|
|Wilson Elementary School|
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction administers annual Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS) tests to students throughout the state. These tests assess proficiency in math and reading among students in grades three through eight as well as tenth grade. WSAS tests also evaluate proficiency in language arts, science and social studies at grades four, eight and ten. The Department of Public Instruction publishes results from WSAS tests as part of each district's Annual District Report Card.
The Annual District Report Card compares district performance with state performance based on four criteria:
- Student Achievement: This category compares reading and math performance by district students to state and national standards.
- Student Growth: This category compares year-to-year performance on reading and math sections in WSAS tests.
- Closing Gaps: This category compares test performance by low-performing groups in the district to similar cohorts across the state.
- On-Track and Postsecondary Readiness: This category uses benchmarks including ACT scores, graduation rate, attendance rate and math achievement to assess post-graduate preparedness.
West Allis-West Milwaukee School District achieved an overall score of 71.1 during the 2012-2013 school year. The district's overall score led to a Meets Expectations designation from the Department of Public Instruction. The following table compares district performance with state performance according to the 2012-2013 Annual District Report Card:
|Annual District Report Card Grades, 2012-2013|
|Category||District score||State score|
|On-track and Postsecondary Readiness||85.1||84.9|
- List of school districts in Wisconsin
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District
- West Allis, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Wisconsin Information System for Education," accessed February 4, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "High school completion rates," accessed April 21, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "West Allis, Wisconsin," accessed April 17, 2014
- Milwaukee County Election Commission, "Election Results," accessed April 17, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, "2013-2014 Phone List," accessed April 21, 2014
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, "Board Member Compensation and Expenses," December 20, 2004
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School, "Guidelines for Public Participation in Board Meetings," April 12, 2010
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, "Public Hearing 2013-2014," accessed April 21, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "School Staff: Salary, Position & Demographic Reports," accessed April 21, 2014
- West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, "Building Principal Directory, accessed April 21, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Report Cards," accessed April 21, 2014