Westerville City School District elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Westerville City School District
Franklin County, Ohio ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Ohio
Three seats on the Westerville City School District Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Nancy Nestor‐Baker, Tracy A. Davidson and Rick A. Vilardo defeated challengers Jim Burgess, Luke Davis, Robert Edwards and John Sodt, as well as incumbent Kevin Hoffman for the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Westerville City School District, Ohio
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Westerville overperformed in these areas by a fairly wide margin. The graduation rate was 96.5% compared to 87.8% statewide. The average household income was $83,234 compared to $48,071 in the entire state. The poverty rate with 6.3%, while the poverty rate for Ohio was 14.8%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Westerville City (%)||Ohio (%)|
|Hispanic or Latino||1.9||3.3|
|Two or More Races||2.1||2.0|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Westerville City School Board is composed of five members that are elected at-large. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the Westerville School Board must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold city office concurrent to board service.
Eight candidates declared their intentions to run for three at-large seats on the Westerville City School Board. Three of the candidates — Jim Burgess, Luke Davis and John Sodt — announced that they were running for the Westerville Board of Education as a unit, saying electing them as a team would prove effective for change in the district.
|Westerville City School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Tracy A. Davidson||17.2%||4,900|
|Nonpartisan||Rick A. Vilardo||15.1%||4,316|
|Nonpartisan||Kevin Hoffman Incumbent||9.3%||2,659|
|Source: Franklin County Board of Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Franklin County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
Tracy A. Davidson, Nancy Nestor-Baker and Rick A. Villardo were endorsed by the Franklin County Democratic Party.
What was at stake?
Eight candidates vied for three at-large seats on the Westerville City School Board on November 5, 2013. Only one incumbent filed for re-election.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Westerville Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for local nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Westerville + City + School + District + Ohio"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Westerville City School District
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Franklin County, Ohio ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Ohio
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Westerville City," accessed October 21, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Candidate Guide," accessed September 20, 2013
- Jennifer Nesbitt, This Week Community News, "Three announce joint run for Westerville school board," published August 8, 2013
- Franklin County Democratic Party, "2013 Franklin County Democratic Party Endorsements," accessed October 21, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 27, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed September 20, 2013