|Alabama House of Representatives District 59|
|Bachelor's||George Washington University, 1975|
|Associate's||George Washington University, 1974|
|Master's||George Washington University, 1978|
|J.D.||Birmingham School of Law, 1985|
|Other||LLM, Atlanta Law School, 1991|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1967-1971|
|Birthday||December 15, 1948|
|Place of birth||Lumberton, NC|
Barnes earned his associate's degree in Liberal Arts, his bachelor's degree in Business Administration/Psychology and his master's in Education/Human Resource Development/Organizational Psychology from George Washington University in 1974, 1975 and 1978, respectively. He then received his J.D. from Birmingham School of Law in 1985. He went on to earn his LLM from Atlanta Law School in 1991.
Barnes served in the United States Air Force in Vietnam from 1967 to 1971. He has since worked in the following positions: Weapons and Munitions Manufacturing/Facilities Engineering and Maintenance for the United States Naval Weapons Station at Yorktown from 1973 to 1977, Adjunct Professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University from 1981 to 1984, Senior Personnel Psychologist for the United States Army from 1978 to 1990, Research Analyst for the United States Department of the Treasury from 1990 to 1998, Legal Instructor for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center from 1990 to 1998, Adjunct Professor at Brenau University from 1994 to 1998 and Business Consultant for William G. Barnes and Associates from 1998 to 1999. As of the 2012 election, he was employed as an attorney for William G. Barnes and Associates.
Barnes' campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "We need to return to the fiscal discipline imposed by PAYGO rules and reduce our deficits and debt."
- Excerpt: "A strong middle class makes a strong economy. My goal is to give consumers as much power as necessary to balance the economic scales between business and consumers. "
- Gun Rights
- Excerpt: "As an officer and defender of the law, I believe that the Second Amendment grants individuals the right to “bear arms” or own guns. Gun ownership is a constitutionally guaranteed right."
- Excerpt: "Our nation was once the envy of other countries due to our extraordinary educational system and institutions. Now, our nation’s educational system is not held in the highest regards."
- Social Security
- Excerpt: "The elderly and the newly born are the most vulnerable in our society. Protecting senior citizens is a high priority concern for our governmental elected representatives. The people who contributed to the success of this nation’s economy should not be penalized nor have to worry about re-entering the workforce after his or her physical abilities and skills have deteriorated or eroded."
- Medicaid/Medicare & Affordable Health Care
- Excerpt: "Affordable Health Care is a topic that has polarized this nation’s politics over the past 100 years. In the past three years the topic has become a hot issue for most Americans. I support comprehensive affordable health care for all Americans."
- Taxes, Budgets, & The Federal Deficit
- Excerpt: "We have to make significant changes to the current way of doing things to reduce our nation’s debt. "
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2013. Incumbent Mary Moore will face Chris Davis and William Barnes in the Democratic primary.
|U.S. House, Alabama District 6 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Penny H. Bailey||59.8%||4,529|
As of the 2012 election, Barnes and his wife, Tamea, had two children.
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|