|Illinois Auditor General|
|August 1, 1992 - Present|
|August 1, 2022|
|Years in position||22|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||August 1992, re-appointed 2002, 2012|
|Appointed by||Illinois General Assembly|
Holland first entered politics as a legislative intern in the Illinois House of Representatives. He was appointed director of the House Majority Appropriations staff in 1978, and in 1980 appointed as director of the General Assembly's Washington, D.C. office. In 1983, Holland became Chief of Staff to then-Illinois Senate President Philip Rock, a position he held until 1992.
Holland, who readily admits to not being a trained auditor as well as having no accounting experience, stated, "That exposure to all of state government was very helpful and very useful to me when I began my career as the auditor general. I am surrounded by immensely talented accountants and auditors and people with a lot of experience. I’ve got the high-level view. They bring in the detail, and it’s a pretty good mix.”
- Graduated, Seattle University
Illinois Auditor General (1992-Present)
Holland was unanimously re-appointed by the Illinois General Assembly as Illinois Auditor General for a third ten-year term in 2012. While both parties approved of his performance, Republicans argued that the office was unnecessary.
Holland lives in Springfield. He has three children and three grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "William + Holland + Illinois + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vendors feel crowded out of prison commissary bidding - Bloomington Pantagraph
- Smaller dealers being pushed out of prison commissary contracts - Herald & Review
- Changes in prison canteens draw ire from small suppliers - The Southern
- Geithner the investor ? Volcker rule delayed? ? Bloomberg eyes layoffs - Politico
- Illinois Auditor General, "Description," accessed September 4, 2012
- Cyber Drive Illinois, "Auditor General," accessed September 19, 2012
- Illinois Issues, "In Auditor General William Holland’s world, there is no room for partisan politics," September 2012
- The State Journal Register, "Illinois House votes to retain auditor general," May 8, 2012
|Illinois Auditor General
1992 – Present
| Succeeded by|