|Georgia State Senate District 3|
|January 11, 2011 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Municipal Court Judge, City of Brunswick|
|1997 - 2009|
|Bachelor's||Valdosta State College|
Ligon earned his B.S. from Valdosta State College and his J.D. from Mercer University School of Law. His professional experience includes working as the senior partner at the firm of Ligon, Middleton and Lindberg, P.C., and as Municipal Court Judge for the city of Brunswick.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Ligon served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• State and Local Governmental Operations, Chair|
|• Judiciary - Non-Civil, Vice Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Ligon served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Education and Youth, Vice Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Public Safety|
On his campaign website, Ligon listed seven issues he is concerned about. They are:
- Excerpt: "William Ligon believes government should remove bureaucratic barriers to free enterprise."
- Property Rights
- Excerpt: "For William Ligon, protecting private property is fundamental to justice."
- Justice for All
- Excerpt: "government's core mission is public safety."
- Family Values
- Excerpt: "William Ligon believes in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman."
- Our Resources
- Excerpt: "William Ligon will work to preserve our natural assets for future generations."
- Our Freedoms
- Excerpt: "William knows that defending our constitutional liberties requires courage."
- Our Children
- Excerpt: "William Ligon believes the next generation should understand the founding principles of the nation."
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate will consist of a primary election on May 20, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent William T. Ligon, Jr. is unopposed in the Republican primary.
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Ligon ran in the 2012 election for Georgia State Senate District 3. Ligon ran unopposed in the Republican primary on July 31, 2012. No Democratic candidate filed to run for this seat. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Ligon won re-election in the general election.
|Georgia State Senate, District 3, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||William Ligon, Jr. Incumbent||100%||50,088|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2010
| Georgia State Senate, District 3 |
2010 General election results
|William Ligon (R)||29,434||71.0%|
|Griffin Lotson (D)||12,006||29.0%|
Ligon defeated Terry Carter in the July 20 primary.
|Georgia State Senate, District 3 - Republican Primary (2010)|
Comprehensive donor information for Ligon is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Ligon raised a total of $265,933 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 22, 2013.
|William Ligon's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Georgia State Senate, District 3||$76,898|
|2010||Georgia State Senate, District 3||$189,035|
|Grand Total Raised||$265,933|
2012Ligon won re-election to the Georgia State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Ligon raised a total of $76,898.
|Georgia State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to William Ligon's campaign in 2012|
|Georgia Dental Association||$3,500|
|Ligon Jr, William T||$3,000|
|Friends of Tommie Williams||$2,000|
|Golden Isles Office Equipment||$1,961|
|Total Raised in 2012||$76,898|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Ligon won election to the Georgia State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Ligon raised a total of $189,035.
|Georgia State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to William Ligon's campaign in 2010|
|Ligon Jr, William T||$35,000|
|Hi-Tech Jetting Technologies Inc||$4,800|
|Georgia Dental Association||$3,250|
|Total Raised in 2010||$189,035|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2011, senators Ligon and Barry Loudermilk were charged with discrimination against a former employee. Democrats believe that an $80,000 payment was issued in Summer 2011 to settle the case secretly and called for the resignation of the two senators.
Ligon and his wife, Kim, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term William + Ligon + Georgia + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- William Ligon campaign website
- William Ligon on the Georgia State Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- William Ligon on Facebook
- William Ligon campaign website, "Issues"
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 10, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed May 29, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Georgia Elections Division "2012 Election Results" Accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State - 2010 Election results
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official 2010 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Ligon, William," accessed August 22, 2013
- 11alive.com "Democrats demand resignation of state senators implicated in discrimination case," September 28, 2011
|Georgia Senate District 3
| Succeeded by|