|Board member, Newburgh Enlarged City Board of Education, At-large|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||May 20, 2014|
|First elected||May 20, 2014|
William Swart is a resident of Orange County, New York. Swart holds B.A., M.S. and Ed.D. degrees. He is employed as the Graduate Educational Programs coordinator at Mount Saint Mary College. Prior to taking that position, Swart worked as a classroom teacher, school building leader, associate superintendent for pupil personnel, associate superintendent for instruction and superintendent of two school districts.
William Swart, Kenneth Copertino, Carole Mineo and Darren Stridiron defeated incumbents Dawn Fucheck, Mark Levinstein and Thomas Woodhull and seven fellow challengers for the four at-large seats in the general election on May 20, 2014.
One of the seats up for election was vacated as a result of the death of board member Judith A. McAfee. The candidate who received the most votes but who was not an incumbent, Carole Mineo, received that seat, which carried an unexpired two-year term.
|Newburgh Enlarged City School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||George Bowles, Jr.||7.1%||808|
|Nonpartisan||Dawn Fucheck Incumbent||7%||791|
|Nonpartisan||Mark Levinstein Incumbent||6.3%||716|
|Nonpartisan||Thomas Woodhull Incumbent||4.4%||503|
|Source: Newburgh Enlarged City School District, "School & Library Budget Vote and School Board Election - 5/20/14," accessed July 10, 2014|
Swart received an endorsement from the Newburgh Teachers Association.
|Newburgh Enlarged City School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Dawn Fucheck Incumbent||21%||1,482|
|Nonpartisan||Stephen A. Bedetti||11.1%||785|
|Nonpartisan||William J. Morgan||8.1%||575|
|Nonpartisan||Ed Poppiti Incumbent||7.7%||544|
|Source: Newburgh Enlarged City School District, "2011-2012 School & Library Budget Vote and School Board Election," accessed May 1, 2014|
In a survey conducted by the school district, Swart stated that the following should be the district's top priorities in 2014:
|“||Governance not Management
Permit all employees to work in a cooperative environment
—Newburgh Enlarged City School District candidate survey, (2014), 
About the districtOrange County, New York. The county seat of Orange County is Goshen, New York. Orange County is home to 375,592 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. Newburgh Enlarged City is the 10th-largest school district in New York, serving 11,544 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Orange County underperformed in comparison to the rest of New York in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.7 percent of Orange County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 32.8 percent for New York as a whole. The median household income in Orange County was $70,712 compared to $57,683 for the state of New York. The poverty rate in Orange County was 11.7 percent compared to 14.9 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "William + Swart + Newburgh + Enlarged + City + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Newburgh Enlarged City School District, New York
- Newburgh Enlarged City School District elections (2014)
- Newburgh Enlarged City School District, "2014-2015 Budget Information," accessed May 20, 2014
- Mount Saint Mary College, "William Swart," accessed May 20, 2014
- Information submitted to Ballotpedia via phone call with the Newburgh Enlarged City School District administration on May 1, 2014.
- New York State Board of Elections, "Contribution Search," accessed May 20, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "Expenditure Search," accessed May 20, 2014
- Times Herald-Record, "School vote: Newburgh school board shake-up," May 22, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- United States Census Bureau, "Orange County, New York," accessed May 1, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 21, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "NYS Voter Enrollment by County, Party Affiliation and Status - Voters Registered as of November 01, 2013," accessed April 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Newburgh Enlarged City School District Elections|
|Orange County, New York|
|Election date:||May 20, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Dawn Fucheck • Incumbent, Mark Levinstein • Incumbent, Thomas Woodhull • Andres Arestin • George Bowles, Jr. • Kenneth Copertino • Runston Lewis • Carole Mineo • Sheila Murphy • Robert Pagliaro • David Rein • Darren Stridiron • William Swart • Nathan Vesely|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|