Wisconsin State Senate District 10
|Wisconsin State Senate District 10|
|Current incumbent||Sheila Harsdorf|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 192,662 civilians reside within Wisconsin's tenth state senate district. Wisconsin state senators represent an average of 172,333 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 162,536 residents.
About the office
Members of the Wisconsin State Senate serve four-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Half of the senate is up for election every two years. Wisconsin legislators assume office the first Monday in January following the election.
Section 6 of Article 4 of the Wisconsin Constitution states, "No person shall be eligible to the legislature who shall not have resided one year within the state, and be a qualified elector in the district which he may be chosen to represent."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Wisconsin Legislature are paid $49,943/year. Legislators receive a maximum of $88/day per diem, set by the compensation commission. Based on the maximum, the leadership of each house determines what amount to authorize for each session.
In the event of a vacancy in the senate, the Governor must call for a special election when allowed by law. Special elections to fill legislative vacancies cannot be held after February 1st preceding a spring election or September 1st preceding a fall election. If the vacancy happens before May 15th, the Governor must fill the vacancy as soon as possible.
- See also: Wisconsin State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Wisconsin State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. Republican incumbent Sheila Harsdorf defeated Democrat Daniel Olson in the general election. Both candidates were unopposed in the primary elections.
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 10, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Sheila Harsdorf Incumbent||59.2%||51,911|
Since 2000, candidates for Wisconsin State Senate District 10 have raised a total of $1,771,472. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $118,098 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Wisconsin State Senate District 10|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Public Mapping Project, Wisconsin 2010 Census Selected Statistics, accessed November 23, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17.19 (1), Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 8.50, Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 8.50(4)-(d), Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Secretary of State, 2012 General Election Candidates by Office, accessed November 23, 2013
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, Official 2012 primary results, accessed November 23, 2013