Writing:Net worth (congress)
- Main article: Congress Project writing guidelines
|Profiles of Incumbents and Candidates|
|Starting the article|
|Photo • Infobox use|
|Biography and Career|
|Issues • Committee assignments|
|Elections • Electoral history|
|Polls • Videos • Donors|
|Donor history • Campaign finance|
|Analysis • % Vote w/party • Votes with|
|Staff salaries • Net Worth|
|Personal • Recent news|
|Links • Succession box|
|References • Categories|
|Profiles of Congressional Districts|
|Infobox • Introductory sentence|
|Redistricting • District history|
|See also • Additional reading|
|Links • Categories|
|Candidate creation • Photo|
|Race background • Election history|
|National political organizations|
The information for this section comes from Open Secrets.
Pieces of information
- Estimated net worth range
- Average of estimated net worth
- Average net worth of party members in relevant chamber
- Change from prior year if prior info is already on page
Getting the information
Estimated net worth range and average
For the estimated range of a congressperson's net worth, go to Open Secrets' Personal Finances page. Type in the name of the congressperson and select the most recent year's data available. This will list two numbers for Net worth: an estimated minimum and maximum.
Take the average of these two figures by adding them together and dividing by 2.
For example, if the Open Secrets page says "Net Worth: From $999,551 to $1,199,549,"
1) Add the minimum and maximum: $999,551 + $1,199,549 = $2,199,100 2) Divide the result by two: $2,199,100/2 = $1,099,550
Thus, the average estimated net worth is $1,099,550.
Average net worth by party and chamber
For the average net worth of party members within a certain chamber, go to Net Worth of United States Senators and Representatives and find the relevant chart.
For example, for the average net worth of Senate Democrats, go to the Democrats table and look for the Senate Average. For the year, choose the same year as the most recent data you got from Open Secrets for the congressperson's net worth.
Use the following template for Net worth sections:
:: ''See also: [[Net Worth of United States Senators and Representatives]]''
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by ''OpenSecrets.org'', NAME's net worth as of YEAR was estimated between $MINIMUM and $MAXIMUM. That averages to $AVGEST, which is lower than the average net worth of PARTY SENATORS/REPRESENTATIVES in YEAR of $AVGPARTYCHAMBER. CHANGE<ref>[URL ''OpenSecrets.org'', "TITLE"]</ref>
- NAME: Last name of congressperson
- YEAR: Latest year of available data
- MINIMUM: Lower end of given net worth range from Open Secrets
- MAXIMUM: Higher end of given net worth range from Open Secrets
- AVGEST: Average of minimum and maximum for congresspersons
- PARTY: Congressperson's political party
- AVGPARTYCHAMBER: The average net worth of members of the congressperson's party and chamber (information gathered from Net Worth of United States Senators and Representatives)
- CHANGE: Short sentence detailing whether net worth increased/decreased from prior year if info is available.
An example would appear as:
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org, Durbin's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $999,551 and $1,199,549. That averages to $1,099,550, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic senators in 2010 of $19,383,524.
For example "Analysis" sections: