|Former candidate for|
|Governor of New York|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||September 9, 2014|
Teachout currently teaches constitutional and property law at Fordham Law School.
- J.D., Duke University
- See also: New York Gubernatorial election, 2014
|Governor of New York, Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Andrew Cuomo Incumbent||62.9%||361,380|
|Election Results via New York State Board of Elections.|
Teachout received the endorsement of the New York State Public Employees Federation prior to the primary election.
Residency challenge by Governor Cuomo
The New York Supreme Court began hearings on August 7, 2014 to determine if Teachout met the five-year residency requirement for ballot placement. A challenge was brought by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D), who is seeking re-election in November. Martin E. Connor, representing Cuomo's campaign, claimed that Teachout had not spent the last previous years living continuously in New York. Teachout owns a cabin in Vermont, where she spent time in previous summers. Connor also noted that Teachout did not have a state driver's license or change her address to a New York residence until recently.
Teachout supplied evidence to the court in support of her residency, including an account of her move from Vermont to North Carolina to New York in June 2009. She also provided her 2009 tax return with New York address, a Fordham Law School directory and bank statements documenting purchases at New York businesses. Teachout believed that Cuomo's efforts were intended to avoid embarrassment from losing votes to a more liberal candidate. On August 11, Edgar G. Walker ruled against Cuomo's residency challenge, keeping Teachout on the primary ballot. Cuomo appealed Walker's decision to a state Supreme Court panel, which upheld the decision to keep Teachout on the ballot on August 20, 2014.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Zephyr + Teachout + New York + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Daily News, "Zephyr Teachout confirms plans for a Democratic primary against Gov. Cuomo," June 13, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "Candidate Petition List," accessed July 15, 2014
- Teachout-Wu, "Biographies," accessed September 5, 2014
- readMedia, "PEF endorses an array of labor-friendly candidates for 2014 elections," August 20, 2014
- The New York Times, "Cuomo Contests New York Residency of Teachout Before Primary," August 6, 2014
- Governing, "New York Governor Loses Bid to Keep Opponent Off Ballot," August 12, 2014
- New York Daily News, "Zephyr Teachout cleared by state Supreme Court to run against Andrew Cuomo in Democratic primary," August 20, 2014
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |