Senator Vinehout talks about the current problems with health care, the economy and schools
Kathleen Vinehout (b. June 16, 1958) is a Democratic member of the Wisconsin State Senate. She has represented the 31st state senate district since 2006. She is also the Chair of the Democratic Party of Buffalo County.
Vinehout's professional experiences include researcher/quality assurance specialist; organic farmer; nursing assistant; health care manager; education director; and professor at University of Illinois, Springfield.
Vinehout earned a BS in education from Southern Illinois University; MS in public health, Saint Louis University; PhD from University of Illinois, Springfield; and AD in Agriculture from LincolnLand Community College. She and her husband, Douglas Kane, have one child; Nathan.
Sen. Vinehout briefly lists the following on her campaign website as her goals:
- Reform the health care system to make it more affordable and accessible (her top priority).
- Maintain state funding for schools.
- "End the partisan bickering" and "work together" to accomplish these goals.
Sen. Vinehout serves on these legislative committees:
- Agriculture and Higher Education (Chair)
- Agricultural Education and Workforce Development Council
- Wisconsin Agricultural Education and Workforce Development Council
- Audit (Chair)
- Joint Committee on Audit (Co-Chair)
- Children and Families and Workforce Development
- Economic Development
- Public Health, Senior Issues, Long-Term Care, and Job Creation
Kathleen Vinehout raised $182,848 for her campaign, while Ron Brown, incumbent, raised $281,694.
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 31 (2006)|
|Kathleen Vinehout (D)||31,895|
|Ron Brown (R)||29,890|
Recent legislation sponsored or co-sponsored by Sen. Vinehout includes
- A bill modifying how dependents may be covered under health insurance
- A bill creating court presumption criteria regarding the privilege of self defense
Some of the top contributors to Sen. Vinehout's 2008 campaign, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics:
- Professional Fire Fighters of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Federation of Cooperatives, Adam Greene, Judith Whelan, Wisconsin State Council of Carpenters
Labor interests were his largest donor group.
- Sen. Vinehout's Wisconsin State Legislature website
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Campaign contributions: 2006, 2008
- Sen. Vinehout's campaign website
|Wisconsin State Senate District 31
| Succeeded by|