2013 Elections Review: Wisconsin Superintendent Tony Evers glides into his second term stronger than ever
MADISON, Wisconsin: There was only one state executive position up for election in 2013 in the state of Wisconsin - State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Incumbent Tony Evers was first elected in April 2009 and won re-election to a second term against challenger Don Pridemore on April 2, 2013. Evers, a career educator, handily defeated Don Pridemore, a Wisconsin State Assemblyman since 2005. Although the Superintendent of Public Instruction is a nonpartisan position, Evers is a Democrat and Pridemore is a Republican.
The race had attracted considerable buzz in the lead-up to Tuesday's election, owing in large part to the controversial education proposals put forth by Gov. Scott Walker (R) in his recently unveiled 2013-2015 budget plan, as well as Pridemore's penchant for provoking the media - with dramatic pronouncements about his campaign agenda or else by creating a blacklist of a number of "liberal" political reporters.
With results still rolling in, Evers has so far received 61% of the vote, amounting to 473,879 votes at 88% reporting. This unofficial figure points to Evers' growth in popularity since his initial election to the post back in 2009. Then, he earned 439,248 votes and scored a roughly 15 percentage point victory over fellow challenger Rose Fernandez.
Below are the unofficial results of the superintendent race, current as of April 2, 2013 at 11:30pm Central Standard Time:
- 2013 General election:
|Wisconsin Superintendent of Public Instruction General Election, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Tony Evers Incumbent||61.1%||487,030|
|Election Results via Wisconsin Government Accountability Board (dead link).|
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "2013 Spring Election" (dead link)
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Wisconsin April 2 election results," accessed April 3, 2013
- The Republic, "GOP education superintendent candidate's campaign blacklists 5 Wisconsin reporters," March 17, 2013
- Walworth County Today, "Wisconsin superintendent candidates to debate," March 12, 2013 (dead link)
- WisPolitics, "Pridemore Campaign: Pridemore vows to eliminate DPI mascot policy," March 28, 2013