Alabama Legislative Fiscal Office
The Alabama Legislative Fiscal Office is established for the purpose of providing independent, accurate, and objective fiscal information to members of the Alabama Legislature.
The Legislative Fiscal Office was created on an act of the Alabama Legislature in 1975.
The Joint Fiscal Committee, a ten person committee governs the Alabama Legislative Fiscal Office. Membership consists of:
- Chairman of the Alabama House Ways and Means Committee.
- Three other members selected by the Chairman of the Alabama House Ways and Means Committee.
- Chairman of the Alabama Senate Finance and Taxation Committee.
- Three other members selected by the Chairman of the Alabama Senate Finance and Taxation Committee.
- The Lieutenant Governor of Alabama
- The Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives.
Each person appointed to the committee serves throughout the entirety of their term in the legislature. The Director of the Legislative Fiscal Office is selected by the ten person committee.
The Legislative Fiscal Office does extensive work of the Alabama State Budget. This includes drafting and analysis of the Alabama State budget. Also, the Legislative Fiscal Office tracks agency budgets in the Alabama government and handles all budget requests.
The Legislative Fiscal Office serves as the official support staff of the Alabama House Ways and Means Committee and Alabama Senate Finance and Taxation Committee.
Publications and research
Research is done on request by legislators or committees on any fiscal matter by the Legislative Fiscal Office. Also, the Legislative Fiscal Office produces publications for the general public and legislators.
Revenue analysis is another key component of the Legislative Fiscal Office's work. The staff monitors all tax and other revenue collection, producing revenue estimates, and producing fiscal impact statements for legislative proposals.
- Alabama Legislative Reference Service
- Alabama Legislature
- Alabama House of Representatives
- Alabama State Senate