Alaska Director of Agriculture
|Alaska Alaska Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2014 FY Budget:||$2,517,800|
|Length of term:||Serves at pleasure of the Commissioner of Natural Resources|
|Authority:||Alaska Statutes, Title 3, Chapter 9, Section 20|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Commissioner of Natural Resources|
|Assumed office:||August 1, 2007|
|Other Alaska Executive Offices|
|Governor•Lieutenant Governor•Attorney General•Comptroller•Education Commissioner•Revenue Commissioner•Agriculture Director•Insurance Director•Natural Resources Commissioner•Labor Commissioner•Regulatory Commission|
The current director of agriculture is Franci Havemeister. Havemeister was originally appointed on August 1, 2007 by Alaska Commissioner of Natural Resources Tom Irwin. As the director serves at the pleasure of the commissioner of natural resources, Havemeister is not subject to reappointment.
Before becoming director, Havemeister worked as a real estate agent, a case processor for the state of Alaska, and served as children's education director at her local church.
The director of agriculture's authority is based in statute, which establishes him or her as the director of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation.
Alaska Statutes, Title 3, Chapter 9, Section 20
|(a) The director of the division of agriculture of the department shall serve as the director of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation. The director may employ staff and, as directed by the board, is responsible for the daily operations of the agricultural revolving loan fund.|
State law does not require any particular qualifications of the director of agriculture.
The director is appointed by the commissioner of natural resources "from a list of two or more candidates submitted by the board [of agriculture and conservation]."
Alaska Statutes, Title 3, Chapter 9, Section 20
|(b) The director of agriculture shall be appointed to the partially exempt service by the commissioner from a list of two or more candidates submitted by the board. The commissioner may reject all candidates, in which case the board shall submit a new list. The director may be removed by the commissioner at any time, and the office shall remain vacant until a new director is appointed under this subsection.|
In case of vacancy, the commissioner of natural resources appoints a new director by the same process listed above.
The director of agriculture, as head of the Division of Agriculture, is responsible for "[promoting] and [encouraging] development of an agriculture industry" in Alaska. He or she also serves as director of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation, which establishes the Division's policies.
- Low interest loans to Alaskan farmers under the Alaska Agricultural Loan Act
- Coordination with the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation to provide farmers with insurance.
- Aid for state agricultural and industrial fairs
- The "Farm to School" program, which educates youth about the food system.
- Enforcement of various food-related regulations
- Marketing services for Alaska farmers, including the "Alaska Grown" campaign to promote awareness of food grown in the state
- The Plant Materials Center, which produces and distributes "materials to meet environmental requirements and promote commercial development of native [Alaskan plant] species."
- Other grants to promote innovation, specialty crop development and youth education.
The budget for the Division of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2014 is $2,517,800.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Alaska + Director + Agriculture + Havemeister
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Barns and their stories remind us of a simpler agrarian culture - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman
- Farmers Markets Opening Soon Statewide - Anchorage Daily News
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
1800 Glenn Highway, Suite 12
Palmer, AK 99645
Phone: (907) 745-7200
Fax: (907) 745-7242
- ↑ Division of Agriculture, "Homepage," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ Alaska Legal Resource Center, "Alaska Statutes 03.09.020," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ National Association of State Departments of Agriculture, "Bio of Franci Havemeister," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Alaska Legal Resource Center, "Alaska Statutes 03.09.020," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ Alaska Division of Agriculture, "Programs," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ Alaska Legal Resource Center, "Alaska Statutes, Title 3. Agriculture and Animals," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ Alaska Plant Materials Center, "Homepage," accessed June 5, 2011.
- ↑ Alaska Office of Management and Budget, "FY 2014 Operating Budget," May 21, 2013