|Texas State House, District 131|
|2005 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
Allen is a retired School Administrator with Houston School District, a position she held from 1961-2000. She has been an Assistant Principal at Foster Elementary School, Principal at GBM Turner Elementary School, Teacher at Parker Elementary School, and Principal at Peck Elementary School.
Allen is a member of a number of organizations, including the Iota Lambda Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, American Association of Curriculum and Development, American Association of Supervision and Curriculum, The Art Institute, Baylor Adult Literacy Board, Child Care Council of Greater Houston, Harris County District Board, Houston Association of Professional Administrators, and the Houston Red Cross.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Allen served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• House Administration|
|• Public Education, Vice-chair|
Allen served on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Corrections, Chair|
|• House Administration|
|• Public Education|
- HB 474 - Relating to the authority of a school district to implement a school bus monitoring system that records images, including images of vehicles that pass a stopped school bus; providing for the imposition of penalties.
- HB 626 - Relating to educational agreements setting forth the respective responsibilities of students, parents, and school personnel in public schools.
- HB 1256 - Relating to requiring the posting of notice of voter complaint information at a polling place.
- HB 1447 - Relating to monitoring, permitting, and reducing emissions of certain air contaminants and pollutants.
Allen won re-election in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 131. Allen defeated Wanda Adams in the May 29 primary election and won re-election in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 131, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Alma Allen Incumbent||94.5%||36,765|
|Texas House of Representatives District 131 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Alma Allen Incumbent||59.4%||3,869|
Allen won re-election in District 131. She was unopposed in the March 2 Democratic primary and faced no opposition in the November 2 general election.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 131 |
2010 General election results
|Alma Allen (D)||21,797||100%|
|Texas House of Representatives, District 131|
|Alma A. Allen (D)||35,026||100.00%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Allen received $55,480 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Texas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Alma Allen's campaign in 2010|
|Friends Of The University Of Houston||$3,000|
|Texas State Teachers Association||$2,000|
|Texas Trial Lawyers Association||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$55,480|
Allen raised $50,773 in 2008. Her top 5 campaign contributors are listed below.
|Border Health PAC||$5,000|
|Charles C Butt||$2,500|
|Texas Trial Lawyers Assoc||$2,000|
|Texas A&M University System||$1,500|
|Linebarger Heard Goggan Blair Graham Pena & Sampson||$1,500|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
Alma Allen received a grade of F on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- Alma Allen's campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Allen
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Freedom Speaks profile
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 131
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Allen
- ↑ Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Allen
- ↑ Texas Democratic Party - Democratic Primary Candidates
- ↑ Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- ↑ Official Texas Election Results
- ↑ Texas House official election results for 2008
- ↑ District 131 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2010 Contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- ↑ Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
|Texas House District 131
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
Public Information Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Sunshinereview:Texas school districts A - L |
Sunshinereview:Texas school districts M - Z |