American Bridge 21st Century
|American Bridge 21st Century|
|Affiliated with:||American Bridge 21st Century Foundation|
American Bridge works closely with House Majority PAC and other Democratic Super PACs; Communications Director Chris Harris said, "Our research helps to inform their polling; their polling helps us decide where we want to do our media hits." Their research includes finding old video footage of Republican candidates, scrutinizing speeches, capturing new footage on the campaign trail, and delving into public records.
American Bridge was started by David Brock, founder of watchdog organization Media Matters. The two organizations share a fundraising firm and many donors.
Correct the Record, an offshoot of American Bridge, took aim at Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker's potential 2016 presidential aspirations. It said in a statement, "As the deadline draws near, Governor and Republican Presidential hopeful Scott Walker’s pledge of 250,000 new Wisconsin jobs created by 2015 appears to be a greater and greater failure of his already controversial tenure in the State’s top job. As Walker attacks other Presidential hopefuls, will he take responsibility for his own failures?”
The release went on: "The most recent state jobs report, issued Thursday, reveals that Walker is roughly one-third of the way to fulfilling his primary campaign pledge of 250,000 jobs being created in Wisconsin during his four-year term that ends in 2015. Estimates suggest that 97,000 jobs have been added since he took office, leaving over 150,000 jobs to be created in the 14 remaining months in his term. To do this, Wisconsin would have to average around 11,000 new jobs a month, every month, if the Republican Governor is to keep his word."
As of July 9, 2013, American Bridge 21st Century had not spent any money targeting candidates for the 2014 election cycle.
According to its website, American Bridge is "monitoring" the following candidates in 2014:
- Chris Christie (Governor of New Jersey)
- Susana Martinez (Governor of New Mexico)
- Ken Cuccinelli (Attorney General of Virginia)
Steve King prank
In July 2013, American Bridge played a prank on Republican Steve King after learning that he embedded one of their YouTube videos of his immigration remarks into a fundraising email. The group added text to their video, including the line, "Don’t listen to Steve King’s excuses. Comparing immigrants to dogs is just plain offensive," and a link to a video compilation of his previous immigration remarks.
Spokesman Chris Harris stated the following about the video, "Ever since American Bridge filmed Steve King comparing immigrants to dogs more than a year ago, he has made a series of excuses and cop outs to avoid being held accountable for his record. We will continue our work to show voters in Iowa and across the country that Steve King is the face of today’s Republican Party and a major roadblock to comprehensive immigration reform."
According to the website OpenSecrets.org, American Bridge 21st Century spent $332,994 on the 2012 elections. Those funds were used to oppose four candidates, all of whom did not win election in 2012.
According to its website, American Bridge "monitored" the following candidates in 2012:
|Rob Portman||Vice President|
|Tim Pawlenty||Vice President|
|Paul Ryan||Vice President|
|Marco Rubio||Vice President|
American Bridge 21st Century spent a grand total of $332,994 in the 2012 election cycle. All of the money was used against Republican candidates. 
|Largest American Bridge 21st Century expenditures in 2012|
The top 5 donors to the American Bridge 21st Century PAC during the 2012 election cycle were:
|Top 5 Donors to American Bridge 21st Century, 2012|
|Occupation/Employer||Total||From Individuals||From Organizations|
|Soros Fund Management||$1,000,000||$1,000,000||$0|
|American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees||$575,000||$0||$575,000|
|Grant & Eisenhofer||$325,000||$325,000||$0|
The top 5 industries donating to the American Bridge 21st Century PAC during the 2012 election cycle were:
|Top 5 Donors to American Bridge 21st Century, 2012|
|Industry||Total||From Individuals||From Organizations|
|Securities & Investment||$1,137,500||$1,137,500||$0|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "American + Bridge + 21st + Century"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
- Profile at The Center for Public Integrity, February 16, 2012
- Spending profile at The Wall Street Journal (2012)
- American Bridge "Who We Are," accessed July 6, 2012
- Roll Call, "American Bridge 21st Century Super PAC Is Hub of Left," February 13, 2012
- ABC News "Bush Library Refuses To Release Rob Portman’s Records," June 22, 2012
- Politico, "American Bridge first ‘16 hit: Scott Walker," November 25, 2013
- Open Secrets, "American Bridge 21st Century, 2014," accessed July 9, 2013
- American Bridge "What We're Monitoring," accessed July 9, 2013
- Politico, "Liberal group pranks Steve King," July 31, 2013
- OpenSecrets, "American Bridge 21st Century," accessed July 9, 2013
- American Bridge "What We're Monitoring," accessed July 6, 2012
- Open Secrets, "American Bridge 21st Century Recipients, 2012," accessed July 9, 2013
- Open Secrets, "Top Organizations Donating to American Bridge 21st Century, 2012," accessed July 9, 2013
- Open Secrets, "Contributions to American Bridge 21st Century Industry Breakdown, 2012," accessed July 9, 2013