Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Washington, District 7|
|Bachelor's||University of Washington|
|Master's||University of Washington and the London School of Economics|
|J.D.||Seattle University School of Law|
Hughes is a tax attorney. He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Washington and earned his law degree from the Seattle School of Law. He holds a master's in taxation from the University of Washington Law School and a master's in theory and history of international relations from the London School of Economics.
Some of Hughes' campaign issues were:
- "We must fight the development of additional coal export terminals in our communities, along with the addition of large numbers of new coal trains which pose serious health risks to residents, clog traffic, and contribute to global warming.
- Marijuana is medicinal, and by taxing it, we can create substantial revenue. Legalizing the production and use of marijuana presents great new opportunities for the future of the 7th District and our country as a whole.
- We will not create jobs simply by cutting the budget. We need to provide businesses in America—large and small—with greater certainty and incentives to create jobs. We need to prioritize grants and loans to small businesses that are willing to create jobs in local communities, and we need stability in our economy so we can jump start job creation.
- We must end unfair tax breaks and loopholes for certain large corporations. The tax code has become a pathway for the rich to get richer and corporations to avoid paying their fair share. Loopholes and incentives for the rich and multinational corporations, has only made our so-called “progressive” tax structure outdated and ineffective. We keep giving breaks to corporations who then move their profits offshore, putting American small businesses at a substantial disadvantage. This cannot continue.
- We cannot burden our students with outrageous amounts of debt when job opportunities are at an all-time low. College must be more affordable! We must recognize the paramount importance of education and prioritize our children, schools and teachers in order to foster each child’s potential. Education is too often the first thing to face budget cuts. No Child Left-Behind is a failure in moving our educational system forward in this country."
Hughes is married to Heidi.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Andrew + Hughes + Washington + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Washington's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Washington's 7th Congressional District
- Federal Election Commission, "Statement of Candidacy," accessed February 24, 2014
- Washington.gov, "2014 Candidates Who Have Filed," accessed May 19, 2014
- Washington Secretary of State, "Candidate Filings," accessed May 17, 2012
- Campaign Website, "About"
- Campaign Website, "Issues"
- Associated Press, "Election results"