For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|New Jersey General Assembly District 5|
|2010 - Present|
|January 12, 2016|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|City Council President, City of Camden, Ward 4|
|2000 - 2010|
|Bachelor's||Saint John Vianney College and Seminary- Miami|
|Date of birth||08/02/1961|
|Place of birth||Aguadilla, Puerto Rico|
|Profession||Patient Relations Representative, Cooper Hospital|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Endorsements
- 9 Additional reading
- 10 Recent news
- 11 See also
- 12 External links
- 13 References
Fuentes earned his B.A. in Philosophy from Saint John Vianney College and Seminary in 1985. His professional experience includes working as a Patient Relations Representative with Cooper Hospital, and a Radio Show Host on Mega 1310 AM. He has also been a Developer with the Teaching Empowerment And Mentoring (T.E.A.M) Leadership Program.
At the beginning of the 2014 legislative session, Fuentes served on the following committees:
|New Jersey Committee Assignments, 2014|
|• Health and Senior Services|
|• Housing and Community Development|
In the 2010-2012 legislative session, Fuentes served on the following committees:
|New Jersey Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Housing Affordability|
|• Commerce and Economic Development|
|• Higher Education|
|• Human Services|
- Relieving the tax burden on property owners.
- Cutting wasteful government spending.
- Consolidating government functions through shared services among municipalities, counties and schools boards.
- Adopting reforms that reduce the costs to taxpayers for public employee benefits, including pensions and health care.
- Providing quality public schools, in part by forcing tax money to go toward classrooms and school facilities – not toward excessive salaries and perks for administrators.
In an interview with the Gloucester County Times, Fuentes listed his top priorities:
- "Getting our residents back to work is my first priority. We must make it easier for businesses to operate, which will encourage them to invest and create jobs, and in turn, make New Jersey more affordable. I will fight to restore tax breaks for working families and seniors and oppose tax breaks for multi-millionaires. I also will explore new options to reform our education system so that every student in New Jersey has access to a high quality education."
(For responses from all the candidates, see the full story here.)
Fuentes won re-election in the 2013 election for New Jersey General Assembly District 5. Fuentes was bracketed with Gilbert Wilson. He was unopposed in the June 4 Democratic primary. He and incumbent Gilbert Wilson (D) defeated David Ragonese (R) and George Wagoner (R) in the general election, which took place on November 5, 2013.
Fuentes won re-election in 2011. He and incumbent Gilbert Wilson ran unopposed in the Democratic Primary on June 7. They then defeated Terrell Ratliff (R) and William Levins (R) in the November 8 general election.
|New Jersey Assembly General Election, Fifth Legislative District (2009)|
|Donald W. Norcross (D)||25,384|
|Angel Fuentes (D)||25,188|
|Brian Kluchnick (R)||15,812|
|Stepfanie Velez-Gentry (R)||15,748|
Comprehensive donor information for Fuentes is available dating back to 2009. Based on available campaign finance records, Fuentes raised a total of $217,139 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 15, 2013.
|Angel Fuentes's Campaign Contribution History|
|2011||New Jersey General Assembly, District 5||$122,760|
|2009||New Jersey General Assembly, District 5||$94,379|
|Grand Total Raised||$217,139|
2011Fuentes won re-election to the New Jersey General Assembly in 2011. During that election cycle, Fuentes raised a total of $122,760.
|New Jersey General Assembly 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Angel Fuentes's campaign in 2011|
|Election Fund Of Donald Norcross For Senate||$34,028|
|New Jersey State Laborers||$8,200|
|Electrical Workers Local 351||$8,200|
|Friends Of Angel Fuentes||$4,580|
|Total Raised in 2011||$122,760|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2009Fuentes won election to the New Jersey General Assembly in 2009. During that election cycle, Fuentes raised a total of $94,379.
|New Jersey General Assembly 2009 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Angel Fuentes's campaign in 2009|
|Election Fund of Donald Norcross for Assembly||$33,448|
|New Jersey Regional Council of Carpenters||$8,200|
|Election Fund of Louis D Greenwald For Assembly||$8,200|
|Fund of Joe Roberts Assembly Speaker||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2009||$94,379|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 216th New Jersey State Legislature will be in session from January 14 through January 1, 2016.
In 2012, the 215th New Jersey State Legislature, first annual session, was in session from January 10 to January 9, 2013. In 2013, the 215th New Jersey State Legislature, second annual session, was in session from January 10 to January 13, 2014.
- New Jersey Environmental Federation: Legislative Scorecard 2010-2013
- Legislators are scored on environment and conservation issues.
- Americans for Prosperity: Taxpayer Scorecard, 215th Legislative Session
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key fiscal legislation affecting the state's economy.
- New Jersey League of Conservation Voters: 2013 Legislative Environmental Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes concerning the protection of the environment.
- New Jersey Taxpayers Alliance: 2013 Taxpayer Legislative Scorecards
- The American Conservative Union: 2012 Legislative scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
Fuentes serves on the Board of Directors of many organizations, including the American Cancer Society, Camden County Chapter of the American Red Cross, Center for Family Services, and the Empowerment Zone.
- The New Jersey AFL-CIO
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund of New Jersey
- NJSpotlight, "Candidates: Legislative District 5," November 4, 2011
- NJSpotlight, "Legislative District 5," October 18, 2011
- NJ.com, "NJ's Fifth Legislative District candidates for Senate and Assembly pinpoint pressing state matters," October 11, 2011 (Interview)
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Angel + Fuentes + New Jersey + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey General Assembly
- General Assembly Committees
- New Jersey State Legislature
- Joint Committees
- New Jersey state legislative districts
- Official Fuentes/Wilson campaign website
- Profile from the New Jersey General Assembly
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Camden County Dems profile
- Angel Fuentes on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2011, 2009
- New Jersey Department of State, Official Primary Results
- New Jersey Department of State, Unofficial general election candidates (dead link)
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed April 10, 2014
- Official Fuentes/Wilson campaign website, "Issues," accessed April 10, 2014
- NJ.com, "NJ's Fifth Legislative District candidates for Senate and Assembly pinpoint pressing state matters," October 11, 2011
- New Jersey Department of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed July 26, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official general election candidates," September 9, 2013
- Associated Press, "New Jersey - Summary Vote Results," November 6, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Official General Election results," accessed December 6, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2011 Official General Assembly Primary Candidate List," accessed April 10, 2014
- Associated Press, "General Election Results, November 4, 2009," accessed April 10, 2014
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official 2009 New Jersey Assembly General Election Results," accessed April 10, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Fuentes, Angel" accessed August 15, 2013
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Fuentes
- PolitickerNJ.com, "AFL-CIO endorses candidates for elections," accessed September 4, 2013
- Planned Parenthood NJ "Planned Parenthood Action Fund of New Jersey Announces Endorsements in State Elections," accessed September 5, 2013
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |