Arizona Cigarette Tax Increase, Proposition 303 (2002)
|Voting on Taxes|
|Not on ballot|
The measure increased taxes on cigarettes, cigars and similar products. The tax on a package of cigarettes increased from 58¢ per pack to $1.18 per pack, or an increase of 60¢ per pack.
|Cigarette Tax Increase|
- Election results from Arizona Elections Department.
Text of measure
The full text of the legislation approved by Proposition 303 is available here.
|historical ballot measure article requires that the text of the measure be added to the page.|
|Item||Rate before Proposition 303||Rate increase proposed by 303||Total after 303|
|Cigarettes||2.9¢ each (58¢ per pack)||3.0¢ each (60¢ per pack)||5.9¢ each ($1.18 per pack)|
|Smoking tobacco, snuff, fine cut chewing tobacco and similar products||6.5¢ per oz.||6.8¢ per oz.||13.3¢ per oz.|
|Cavendish, plug, or twist tobacco||1.6¢ per oz||1.7¢ per oz.||3.3¢ per oz.|
|Small cigars (weighing not more than 3 pounds per 1000)||12.9¢ per 20||13.4¢ per 20||26.3¢ per 20|
|All other cigars (retailing at not more than 5¢ each)||6.4¢ per 3||6.6¢ per 3||13.0¢ per 3|
|All other cigars (retailing at more than 5¢ each)||6.4¢ per||6.6¢ per||13.0¢ per 3|
Use of funds
Increased revenues from Proposition 300 were designed to be put into a "Tobacco Products Tax Fund," administered by the Arizona Healthcare Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), to be distributed as follows:
- 42% to the Proposition 204 Protection Account for programs and services dedicated to the expanded population eligible for coverage under AHCCCS as a result of the 2000 ballot measure that allocated monies from the tobacco litigation settlement.
- 27% to the Tobacco Tax and Healthcare Fund Medically Needy Account for services to low income and indigent persons.
- 20% to the Emergency Health Services Account for the reimbursement of uncompensated care, primary care services and trauma center readiness costs.
- 5% to the Health Research Fund for research on preventing and treating tobacco-related disease and addiction and other diseases.
- 4% to the Healthcare Adjustment Account for distribution to other accounts under the Tobacco Tax and Healthcare Fund to compensate for decreases in those accounts due to lower tobacco tax revenues from fewer sales as a result of the new tax on tobacco products.
- 2% percent to the Tobacco Tax and Healthcare Fund Health Education Account for the prevention and early detection of the four leading disease-related causes of death in Arizona.
- Full text of Proposition 303
- Proposition 303 ballot pamphlet
- Campaign finance for Proposition 303
- Proposition 303 Text
- National Conference of State Legislatures Ballot Measures Database
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |