Arizona Solar Energy Initiative (3) (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The Arizona Solar Renewable Energy Credit Initiative, also known as the Go Solar Arizona SREC Trading Exchange Initiative and the Go Solar in Arizona Economic Development Act, did not make the 2012 ballot in the state of Arizona as an initiated state statute. The measure would have established the Solar Renewable Energy Credit (SREC) trading exchange. The trading exchange would have allowed the state to sell or export SRECs "in a nationwide marketplace at a fair price to recoup their investment in clean solar electricity." The proposal was introduced by the Arizona Solar Power Society when the group filed their paperwork with the Arizona Secretary of State's office on July 5, 2011.
Specifically, the measure would have provided a streamlined solar incentive program with solar tax incentives for the entire state. The program would have provided a solar tax incentive of up to $2.25 per watt.
- See Energy policy in Arizona for a full explanation of energy policy across the state.
Path to the ballot
Since the measure was categorized as an initiated state statute, supporters must have collected 172,809 signatures by the July 5, 2012 petition drive deadline in order for the proposal to have been placed on the ballot.
The following were arguments that were made in support of the measure:
- According to supporters, revenue from S.R.E.C.s would have funded the entire cost of the solar tax credit program without raising taxes or electricity bills.
- The initiative could have created new revenue for the state to use on other programs, supporters say.
- 2012 ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in Arizona
- Arizona 2012 ballot measures
- Arizona Legislature
- List of Arizona ballot measures
- Energy policy in Arizona
- Arizona solar advocates propose initiative
- Group circulating petitions to boost solar tax credits
- Increase to solar power tax credit sought
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2012 Initiatives, Referendums & Recalls," accessed June 21, 2011
- Market Wire, ""Go Solar in Arizona" Initiative Offers Voters a Chance to Protect Their Families Against Rising Electricity Prices, Make Solar Power Affordable for Everyone and Create Badly Needed Arizona Jobs," August 1, 2011
- Eco Seed, "Arizona citizen’s initiative pushes for solar tax incentive scheme in 2012 ballot," August 3, 2011