Arizona secretary of state election, 2014
August 26, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Mine Inspector, Treasurer, Superintendent, Public Service Commissioner
Arizona is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. The primary is considered semi-closed. Unaffiliated voters may choose which party's primary they will vote in, but voters registered with a party can only vote in that party's primary.
Current Republican Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett is term-limited from running for re-election in 2014. Bennett became secretary of state in January 2009, after the resignation of former-Gov. Janet Napolitano required then-Secretary of State Jan Brewer, as second in the line of gubernatorial succession, to vacate her elected office to take over for Napolitano. Once sworn in as governor, Brewer appointed Bennett as her replacement. He served out the remainder of her unexpired term and then won a full 4-year term as secretary of state in the general election on November 2, 2010. As Arizona law bars state executives from occupying the same office for more than two consecutive terms, regardless of duration, Bennett was ineligible to seek a second 4-year term as secretary of state in the 2014 electoral cycle. Brewer is also term-limited in 2014, having served concurrently with Bennett since her mid-term succession to the governorship in 2009, and Bennett, hoping for the chance to take her place once again, unsuccessfully sought the Republican gubernatorial nomination for the open seat in the primary election on August 26, 2014.
|May 28||Filing deadline for major party candidates|
|July 17||Filing deadline for write-in candidates (Primary)|
|August 26||Primary election|
|September 25||Filing deadline for write-in candidates (General)|
|November 4||General election|
|December 1||Official Canvass of general election results|
|January 5, 2015||Inauguration day for state executive officials in general election|
Note: The following list of candidates is not official and will continue to be updated until the 2014 candidate filing deadline. Candidates will be added as we come across them prior to the deadline. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
Lost in the primary
Republican primary - August 26, 2014
|Arizona Secretary of State, Republican Primary, 2014|
|Election Results Via:Arizona Secretary of State. Vote totals above are unofficial and reflect 100% precincts reporting.|
|Arizona Secretary of State, Republican Primary|
|Poll||Wil Cardon||Justin Pierce||Michele Reagan||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
July 9-10, 2014
July 14, 2014
August 19-20, 2014
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Arizona + Secretary + of + State + Election + Goddard"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arizona Secretary of State
- Arizona state executive official elections, 2014
- State executive official elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- AZ Central, "Brewer picks Ken Bennett for sec. of state" 9 Jan. 2009
- East Valley Tribune, "State races: It's a Republican sweep" 2 Nov. 2010
- Michele Reagan for Secretary of State 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 19, 2013
- Arizona Capitol-Times, "Goddard will run for secretary of state," December 30, 2014
- Verde News, "Former AG Goddard to run for Arizona Secretary of State," January 2, 2014
- Wil Cardon for Secretary of State 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Homepage," accessed September 19, 2013
- MyFoxPhoenix.com, "Rep. Justin Pierce to run for Secretary of State," October 21, 2013
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |