Article VIII, Maryland Constitution
| Text of Section 1:
The General Assembly, at its First Session after the adoption of this Constitution, shall by Law establish throughout the State a thorough and efficient System of Free Public Schools; and shall provide by taxation, or otherwise, for their maintenance.
| Text of Section 2:
The System of Public Schools, as now constituted, shall remain in force until the end of the said First Session of the General Assembly, and shall then expire; except so far as adopted, or continued by the General Assembly.
| Text of Section 3:
The School Fund of the State shall be kept inviolate, and appropriated only to the purposes of Education.
- State constitution
- Constitutional article
- Constitutional amendment
- Constitutional revision
- Constitutional convention
- Maryland.gov, "Maryland Constitution"
- From The Archives of Maryland, "Constitutional Records"
- Maryland.gov, "Statewide Ballot Question Results"
- Teaching American History in Maryland, "Maryland Constitutions", a list of primary and secondary resources about the Maryland Constitution and its history.
- Friedman, Dan (2006). The Maryland State Constitution: A Reference Guide, Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing
- Rees, Charles A. (2007). "Remarkable Evolution: The Early Constitutional History of Maryland" in University of Baltimore Law Review, Vol. 36, No. 2, 2007
- Ridgway, Whitman H. (2001). "(Maryland in) the Nineteenth Century" from the Maryland Humanities Council
- Berg-Andersson, Richard E. (2004). "Constitutions of the Several states" from The Green Papers