Article XII, Idaho Constitution
|I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI • XII • XIII • XIV • XV • XVI • XVII • XVIII • XIX • XX • XXI|
| Text of Section 1:
General Laws for Cities and Towns
The legislature shall provide by general laws for the incorporation, organization and classification of the cities and towns, in proportion to the population, which laws may be altered, amended, or repealed by the general laws. Cities and towns heretofore incorporated, may become organized under such general laws, whenever a majority of the electors at a general election, shall so determine, under such provisions therefore as may be made by the legislature.
| Text of Section 2:
Local Police Regulations Authorized
Any county or incorporated city or town may make and enforce, within its limits, all such local police, sanitary and other regulations as are not in conflict with its charter or with the general laws.
| Text of Section 3:
State Not to Assume Local Indebtedness
The state shall never assume the debts of any county, town, or other municipal corporation, unless such debts shall have been created to repel invasion, suppress insurrection or defend the state in war.
| Text of Section 4:
Municipal Corporations Not to Loan Credit
No county, town, city, or other municipal corporation, by vote of its citizens or otherwise, shall ever become a stockholder in any joint stock company, corporation or association whatever, or raise money for, or make donation or loan its credit to, or in aid of, any such company or association: provided, that cities and towns may contract indebtedness for school, water, sanitary and illuminating purposes: provided, that any city or town contracting such indebtedness shall own its just proportion of the property thus created and receive from any income arising therefrom, its proportion to the whole amount so invested.
- State constitution
- Constitutional article
- Constitutional amendment
- Constitutional revision
- Constitutional convention
- Idaho State Legislature, "Idaho Constitution
- University of Idaho, "Idaho Constitutional Revision Commission"
- University of Idaho, "Idaho Constitution"
- The Spokeman-Review, "Idaho Constitution"
- Idaho Secretary of State, "Idaho Constitutional Amendment History"
- History.com, "Jul 3, 1890: Idaho Becomes 43rd State"
- Idaho Historical Timeline
- Colson, Dennis C. (1991). Idaho's Constitution: The Tie That Binds, Boise, Idaho: Caxton Press
- Crowley, Donald, and Florence Heffron (2011). The Idaho State Constitution, New York, New York: Oxford University Press
- Talkington, H.L. (1911). Political History, State Constitution and School Laws of Idaho
- Visit Idaho.org, "Idaho History"