This is a research page for collecting information to track the number of initiatives filed in each of the states with initiative or referendum.
This page does count:
- Initiatives that were filed in states with a rolling petition deadline that might still qualify for the 2012 ballot or 2013 ballot.
- Multiple versions of what appears to basically be the same initiative.
- Initiatives that have already qualified for a 2011 ballot.
This page does not count:
- Ballot measures proposed by a state legislature.
- Initiatives that groups have said they are going to file, but have not actually filed.
States with proposed initiatives for 2011 ballots
- ↑ Not all states set a deadline by which sponsors must file a copy of a proposed initiative. In states that do not have a deadline by which a sponsor must file a copy of the proposed initiative with elections officials, the only relevant deadline is the signature deadline.
- ↑ Sponsors of many, and perhaps even most, of the initiatives filed for the 2011 ballot will withdraw or abandon them, in many cases without mounting a serious petition drive.
- ↑ A separate list of initiatives whose sponsors officially withdrew them is forthcoming. Most initiatives that are destined to fail are not officially withdrawn.
- ↑ Even if they missed their 2011 deadline, as long as they did have a chance of qualifying for the 2011 ballot.
- ↑ As evidenced by the fact that the multiple versions were filed by the same sponsor or group of sponsors, and include very similar but not entirely identical language.
- ↑ See 2011 ballot measures and Potential 2011 ballot measures for information about legislative referrals that have or might qualify for the 2011 ballot.
- ↑ Arkansas Secretary of State's office was contacted for this information
- ↑ 6 initiatives have been filed for the state's 2012 ballot; as of February 2, 2011, 4 of these were cleared for circulation and 2 were awaiting a ballot title from the California Attorney General's office.
- ↑ 2 initiatives have qualified for the 2012 ballot but they will end up on the June 7, 2011 ballot if the California State Legislature ends up calling a special election on that date.
- ↑ 10 initiatives have been filed for the 2012 ballot as of April 1, 2011. Two initiatives have already qualified for the 2012 ballot. It is possible that the two initiatives that have qualified for the 2012 ballot will, instead, be placed on a ballot in 2011 because of various ballot proposition-related events that may still take place in 2011 relating to the state's budget.