Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Massachusetts State Senate, Second Essex and Middlesex District|
|Massachusetts House of Representatives Eighteenth Essex District|
|2003 - 2011|
L'Italien served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives, representing the Eighteenth Essex District from 2003 to 2011.
L'Italien is a social worker. She has been a Case Manager for Elder Services of Merrimack Valley, Elder Abuse Hotline Intake and Referral at the Greater Lawrence Psychological Center, and Supervisor of Case Management and Elder Abuse at West Suburban Elder Services.
L'Italien is a member of the Andona Society, Andover Service Club, Andover Youth Foundation, Andover/North Andover League of Women Voters, Asperger's Association of New England, Merrimack Valley Chamber of Commerce, Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), and the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus.
L'Italien's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"As a mother of a child on the autism spectrum, Barbara has been a strong advocate for the disabled."
- Excerpt:"She has been a vocal advocate for maximizing funding for the Special Education Circuit Breaker and included a transportation pilot to save money by sharing routes."
- Excerpt:"Barbara worked with her local Senior Centers to inform seniors about tax relief programs, fuel assistance and prescription drug coverage and personally signed people up to receive needed assistance."
- Excerpt:"Expanding coverage is an important priority, but so too is reigning the seemingly endless increases in health insurance costs."
- Excerpt:"With the tough economy, ensuring that individuals have the tools and resources to remain in their homes has been of great importance to Barbara."
- Ways and Means (Vice Chair)
Elections for the office of Massachusetts State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on September 9, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Barbara L'Italien defeated Pavel Payano and Doris Rodriguez in the Democratic primary. Alex Vispoli was unopposed in the Republican primary.
|Massachusetts State Senate, Second Essex & Middlesex District Democratic Primary, 2014|
L'Italien ran in the 2012 election for Massachusetts House of Representatives Eighteenth Essex District. L'Italien was unopposed in the September 6 Democratic primary and was defeated by James Lyons, Jr. (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives, Eighteenth Essex District, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||James Lyons, Jr. Incumbent||51.1%||11,810|
On November 4, 2008, L'Italien won re-election for the Massachusetts House of Representatives election for the Eighteenth Essex district. In this election he raised $60,485-; of that total $55,585- (91.9%) was from in state contributions, $1,625- (2.7%) was from out of state contributions, and 3,275 (5.4%) was from unknown sources.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives - Eighteenth Essex district|
|Barbara L'Italien (D)||11,980|
|Lawrence Brennan (R)||8,273|
L'Italien raised $60,485 in the 2008 election cycle.
Her major contributors are listed below.
|Andover Democratic Town Committee||$3,000|
|Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts||$1,000|
|North Andover Democratic Town Committee||$1,000|
|Barbara F. Lee||$1,000|
|Mary Jane Powell||$1,000|
L'Italien and her husband, Kevin, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Barbara + L'Italien + Massachusetts + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Massachusetts House of Representatives - Rep. Barbara L'Italien
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Barbara L'Italien on Facebook
- Barbara L'Italien on Twitter
- House website
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "2014 Democratic Primary Candidates," accessed June 28, 2014
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. L'Italien
- "teambarbara," Official Campaign Website
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "2014 State Primary Candidates," accessed September 9, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "2012 State Primary Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "Return of Votes - For Massachusetts State Election - November 6, 2012," accessed February 13, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "Return of Votes For Massachusetts State Election - November 4, 2008," accessed March 18, 2014
- Follow the Money 2008
- Massachusetts House donor numbers
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed June 2, 2014
|Massachusetts House of Representatives Essex 18
| Succeeded by|
James Lyons, Jr. (R)
State of Massachusetts
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs | Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development | Chair of Public Utilities |