|California State Assembly District 8|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
Ortega received her bachelor's degree in political science and communications from Chapman College in Orange, California. Ortega is the owner of POW Group, which provides economic development and strategic marketing advice to businesses. Prior to forming POW Group, Ortega served in various positions with Abbott Laboratories, including director of business development & strategic programs and director for government affairs. Her business career also includes serving as director and vice president of the California Manufacturers & Technology Association and director of legislative affairs at the United States Chamber of Commerce. Ortega is on the board of directors for Vision y Compromiso, a community organization of Spanish speaking “Promortoras,” and the National Hispanic Council on Aging. She is also a volunteer at the SSPCA.
Ortega described herself as a "Fiscal Conservative, Social Moderate."
Ortega's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Tax increases are bad for the economy. Barbara believes taxes should not be raised without a two-thirds majority vote of the Legislature. Barbara voted in favor of Proposition 26 in 2010, a Constitutional amendment ratified by Californians that requires a two-thirds majority vote before the Legislators can raise fees."
- State Budget
- Excerpt: "Barbara is a fiscal conservative. She understands that the current State Budget fiasco started during the 2000-2001 budget cycle “money-party” of unsustainable permanent spending increases, spearheaded by Gray Davis and liberal Democrats in the Legislature."
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "California used to be the center of business innovation and expansion. No more. High taxes and fees; punitive regulatory policies; and unrestrained litigation have driven businesses, and the jobs they create, out of our state."
- Excerpt: "Barbara believes that our health care infrastructure is fragile and is under pressure from multiple sources including rapidly rising costs and too much government involvement. Having spent 24 years as a health care executive, Barbara knows that the elaborate infrastructure built on preventing disease and taking care of people who are sick simply has to be shored up, preserved and improved."
Ortega was born in San Pedro and grew up in Long Beach, Anaheim and Costa Mesa California. Ortega's father was a Navy veteran who served on the USS Finback during WWII, the submarine that pulled Navy pilot and future President George H. W. Bush out of the water after he was shot down over the Pacific. Ortega and her husband David live in Sacramento. She has two grown children, Charlie and Sarah, and two grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Barbara + Ortega + California + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Information submitted on Ballotpedia’s biographical information submission form on November 21, 2014
- Campaign website, Issues
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed March 13, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 13, 2014