Bellevue Parks Levy (2008)
It is against the law to use tax dollars to encourage citizens to vote for more taxes, but the city Parks Department is under investigation for doing just that. The Parks Department paid $25,000 for a telephone poll targeting only registered voters asking how much they would be willing to pay in higher taxes, both of which are violations of the state Public Disclosure Commission. The PDC has filed an official complaint against the Bellevue City Parks Department. Director Patrick Foran and Fiscal Manager Doug Sanner are specifically mentioned as suspects in the complaint.
- Council endorses parks levy, City of Bellevue press release, October 7, 2008
- Parks levy will be placed on Nov. ballot, Bellevue Reporter.com, October 11, 2008
- Did Bellevue break the law in push to pass parks levy?, KING 5 News, October 20, 2008
- Bellevue Parks officials under investigation for allegedly promoting parks levy, Bellevue Reporter.com, October 21, 2008
- Proposition 1 fact sheet prepared by the City of Bellevue
- Did Bellevue break the law in push to pass parks levy? Video at AOL News