|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A|
|January 8, 2013 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Moorhead High School|
|Bachelor's||Minnesota State University Moorhead|
|Profession||Employee, The Village Family Service Center|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Lien served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Higher Education Finance and Policy|
|• Judiciary Finance and Policy|
Lien's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Local Government Aid
- Excerpt: "I will fight to ensure Local Government Aid funding keeps pace with the growth of Moorhead and Oakport Township. These dollars are critical for public safety and infrastructure maintenance."
- Excerpt: "We need a property tax system that does not put an unfair burden on any homeowner. Replacing the Homestead Market Value Credit with the Homestead Market Value Exclusion was a step in the wrong direction."
Enterprise Development Zones
- Excerpt: "This program delivers valuable funding for our local businesses and keeps them competitive with businesses in North Dakota and South Dakota. Everyone can agree that local businesses are an integral part of any community."
- Excerpt: "Both Moorhead and Oakport Township have a few final pieces of work to accomplish total flood control. I will fight to shore up funding for these projects through bonding bills, state grants and other sources."
- Excerpt: "Public education has long been a source of pride for Minnesota. However, public education has recently fallen from the list of priorities for our state. It has even been used as a source of funding for other purposes"
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Ben Lien was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Brian Gramer was unopposed in the Republican primary.
Lien won election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 4A. He defeated Sue Wiger in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated Travis Reimche (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A, General Election, 2012|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 4A Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Lien is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Lien raised a total of $22,048 during that time period. This information was last updated on December 12, 2013.
|Ben Lien's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota House, District 4A||$22,048|
|Grand Total Raised||$22,048|
2012Lien won election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Lien raised a total of $22,048.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ben Lien's campaign in 2012|
|Clay County Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,100|
|Greg Lemke House District 9A Committee||$600|
|IFO PAC Fund||$500|
|AFSCME Minnesota Council 5||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$22,048|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Ben + Lien + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- "lienforhouse," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for All State Representative Races," accessed August 13, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Lien, Ben," accessed December 12, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
John Persell (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 4A
| Succeeded by|
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |