|Alabama District Courts|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Bob Riley|
|Preceded by:||John Steensland|
|Past post:||Member, Alabama House of Representatives|
|Candidate for:||Houston County District Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Benjamin Lewis is a district judge of Houston County. He was appointed by Governor Bob Riley to fill the position of John Steensland. Lewis retired from the Alabama House of Representatives in order to join the court. His current term on the court expires in 2018.
State legislature issue positions
Lewis' answers to the Alabama State Legislative Election 2006 National Political Awareness Test are available. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected. He did not provide an answer when asked his top legislative priorities.
Awards and associations
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, Houston County Bar Association
- Member, Alabama Cattleman's Association
- Member, Alabama State Bar Association
- Member, National Rifle Association
- Member, Alabama Farmers Federation
- Member, American Agricultural Law Association
- Executive Member, Boy Scouts of America
- Member, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Lewis ran for re-election to the 86th District seat in 2010. He was then appointed to the Houston District judge position and dropped out of the race.
Below are Lewis's top five campaign contributors in 2008, a year in which there was no election:
|Automobile Dealers Assoc of AL||$1,000|
|Michael D Schmitz||$1,000|
|AL Forestry Assoc||$1,000|
|AL Rural Electric Assoc||$1,000|
|AL Trucking Assoc||$1,000|
Lewis raised $234,385 for his campaign, while Carothers raised $328,773.
|Alabama State House, District 86 (2006)|
|Benjamin Lewis (R)||6,488|
|Joe Carothers (D)||6,394|
In 2006, Lewis raised $234,385 in donations.
Listed below are those that made the largest contributions.
|Alabama Republican Party||$115,650|
|Business Council Of Alabama||$57,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Benjamin + Lewis + Alabama + House + Legislature" Benjamin Lewis News Feed
- Ballotpedia, Benjamin Lewis
- Beaumont Enterprise, "Cooperating judge testifies in Ala. gambling trial," June 21, 2011
- Project Vote Smart, Benjamin Lewis biography
- Dothan Eagle, "Riley appoints new Houston district judge," June 21, 2010 (dead link)
- Project Vote Smart, "Benjamin Lewis biography"
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue Positions," accessed November 19, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, Certified 2012 General Election Results
- Alabama Republican Party, List of Federal and Statewide Candidates (dead link)
- Follow the Money, "2008 Campaign contributions," accessed November 19, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Alabama House spending, 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the Money, "2006 Campaign contributions," accessed November 19, 2014
|Alabama House District 86
| Succeeded by|