For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Berkeley Unified School District parcel tax, Measure H (November 2010)
Measure H imposed a tax of 6.31 cents per square foot on residential properties and 9.46 cents per square foot on commercial properties. A two-bedroom home with 1,000 square feet would pay $63 a year. The tax is expected to raise $5 million/year if approved. The tax would last for 10 years.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval.
- These final, certified results are from the Alameda County elections office.
Karen Hemphill, president of Berkeley Unified's school board, supported Measure H.
The editorial board of the Oakland Tribune encouraged the paper's readers to vote "no," saying, "If voters pass Measure I, also on the November ballot, property owners will be paying more to retire construction bonds, bringing the total of property tax supplements for schools to about $992 a year for a small house and $1,823 for a large house. Considering the economy and the large burden taxpayers face, it's premature to asked voters to extend a parcel tax that still has three years left."
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Measure H: To provide essential maintenance of schools and grounds, shall Berkeley Unified School District continue its existing special tax of 6.31¢ / square foot on residential buildings and 9.46¢ / square foot on commercial buildings, and $20 on unimproved parcels with annual cost-of-living adjustments for 10 years? Revenues maintain school buildings, classrooms, playgrounds, roofs, electrical systems, and address fire and safety hazards. The state cannot take the funds. An independent committee oversees funds.|
- Berkeley Voice, "Two measures target improvements at Berkeley schools," October 1, 2010
- Berkeley Daily Planet, "Support Education and Accountability—Yes on H…No on I," October 13, 2010
- Oakland Tribune, "Oakland Tribune editorial: Recommendations on school parcel taxes," September 23, 2010
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.