Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Indiana Secretary of State|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Profession||Marion County Clerk|
|(dead link) Office website|
White serves as the Marion County Clerk.
White ran for Indiana Secretary of State in 2014. She secured the Democratic nomination at the party's primary convention on May 31, 2014, and faced Republican incumbent Connie Lawson and Libertarian Karl Tatgenhorst in the general election. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
|Secretary of state of Indiana, 2014|
|Republican||Connie Lawson Incumbent||57.1%||762,223|
|Election Results via Indiana Secretary of State.|
Dueling claims of election law violations
Connie Lawson (R) and Beth White (D) stirred attention in an otherwise quiet race by trading claims of election law violations. White kicked off the feud with charges that Lawson was challenging absentee ballots by voters on the inactive list in two counties. The inactive list kept track of voters who may not have updated information or voted in recent elections. The secretary's office listed 696,407 registered voters as inactive in August and an outreach effort to update addresses only yielded 47,493 responses. White claimed that Lawson used the lists as a pretense for disenfranchising voters.
State Republican Party chairman Tim Berry countered that there had no been official challenges to inactive voter ballots as of October 23. Lawson supporters also leveled criticism at White for distributing campaign mailers without disclaimers required by state law. White stated that the printer made an error with the original document and the campaign subsequently stopped distributions of the mailers.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Beth + White + Indiana + Secretary + of + State
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- WishTV.com, "2014 Race for Secretary of State taking shape," June 6, 2013 (dead link)
- New York Times, "Election 2014 – Indiana," accessed November 4, 2014
- Beth White Marion County Clerk, "Office homepage," accessed October 10, 2013 (dead link)
- Fox 59, "Candidates respond to controversies over mailings, transparency," October 23, 2014
- The Washington Post, "More than half a million Indiana voters are ‘inactive’ and could removed from poll lists if they don’t vote," August 12, 2014
- WISH TV, "Beth White attacks Connie Lawson, admits error," October 22, 2014
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |