|Supreme Court of Virginia|
|Preceded by:||Barbara Keenan|
|Past post:||Partner, Hunton & Williams|
|Past post 2:||Attorney general of Virginia|
|Past term 2:||2009-2010|
|Undergraduate:||College of William and Mary, 1979|
|Law School:||George Washington University, 1984|
|Grad. School:||Georgetown University (LL.M.), 1986|
William Cleveland "Bill" Mims is a justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia. He was appointed by the General Assembly on March 10, 2010. Mims will serve a 12-year term on the supreme court. He was sworn in to the court on April 9, 2010.
- 2010-2022: Justice, Supreme Court of Virginia
- 2010: Partner, Hunton & Williams
- 2009-2010: Attorney general of Virginia
- 2006-2009: Deputy attorney general under Robert McDonnell
- 2002-2005: Adjunct professor of law, George Mason University
- 1998-2005: Member, Virginia Senate
- 1992-1997: Member, Virginia House of Delegates
- Attorney, Mims, Atwill & Leigh
- Chief of Staff for Representative Frank Wolf
- Deputy Legislative Director to Senator Paul Trible
Awards and associations
- 2002-2004: Board of Governors, Virginia Bar Association
- Board member, Lead Virginia
- Board member, Richmond Behavioral Health Authority
- Board member, Voices for Virginia’s Children
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Mims received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of 0.41, indicating a conservative ideological leaning. This is more conservative than the average CF score of 0.11 that justices received in Virginia. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- Virginia's Judicial System, "Supreme Court of Virginia"
- Virginia House of Delegates, "Mims, William C., Session 1998"
- The Virginia Public Access Project, "William C. Mims"
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, "Mims sworn in as Supreme Court justice," April 10, 2010
- Leesburg Today "Mims Appointed To Virginia Supreme Court," March 10, 2010 (timed out)
- Times-Dispatch "Mims sworn in as Supreme Court justice," April 10, 2010
- Virginia State Bar, "Deputy Attorney General Bill Mims To Speak at Solo & Small-Firm Legal Forum in Danville," April 19, 2006
- Project Vote Smart, "Bill Mims profile"
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
|Former||Leroy Hassell • Barbara Keenan • Lawrence Koontz • Cynthia Kinser • Steven Agee • Richard H. Poff •|
|Attorney General of Virginia
| Succeeded by|