The Bills in the Third Reading Committee
is a standing committee
of the Massachusetts State Senate
. Per Senate Rule 12, the committee is made up of six members.
Per Senate Rules 12 and 13, committees of the Massachusetts State Senate are assigned by the President of the Senate, with the exception of minority members, who are assigned by the Minority Leader. After the adoption of Senate rules at the beginning of each two-year session, the committees are appointed to serve for the entire session. The President is to give consideration to partisan balance in making appointments, and is required to allocate at least two seats on the Ways and Means and Ethics and Rules Committees, and at least one seat on all other standing or special committees, to members of the minority party. The President shall nominate the chair of each committee, and the vice-chair and assistant vice-chair of the Ways and Means Committee, subject to a majority vote of the respective party caucus. Should a nominee be blocked, the President shall nominate another candidate for confirmation. In the event of a special order by the Senate to appoint a committee by ballot, the person receiving the most votes shall be named chair, with the runner-up being named vice-chair. Any vacancies that have occurred in any committees after members have been appointed will be filled following the same rules.
See rules: Rules of the Senate (As adopted by the Senate on January 24, 2013)
||It shall be the duty of the committee on Bills in the Third Reading to consider all bills and resolves prior to their final reading, and examine, correct and recommend such amendments as may be necessary concerning duplication, grammatical errors, constitutionality, etc. The committee shall also consider all amendments subsequent to third reading and all amendments from the House. The committee shall also act in relation to all resolutions and proposals, and act on any other matters referred thereto.
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2013 legislative session.
The following table describes committee membership for the 2011 legislative session.
- ↑ Massachusetts General Court, "Rules of the Senate," January 23, 2013. Accessed January 16, 2014 (Rule 12)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Massachusetts General Court, "Rules of the Senate," January 24, 2013. accessed January 16, 2014(Rules 12, 13A and 13B)
- ↑ Massachusetts General Court, "Rules of the Senate," January 24, 2013. accessed January 16, 2014(Rule 13C)
- ↑ Massachusetts General Court, "Senate Committee on Bills in the Third Reading," accessed January 16, 2014
- ↑ Massachusetts General Court, "Rules of the Senate," January 23, 2013. Accessed January 16, 2014 (Rule 33)
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.