Bobby Joe Champion
|Bobby Joe Champion|
|Minnesota State Senate District 59|
|January 8, 2013 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 58B|
|J.D.||William Mitchell College of Law|
|Birthday||December 17, 1963|
Champion earned his JD from the William Mitchell College of Law and BA in Political Science from Macalester College. He is an attorney and has also been Assistant Attorney General, attorney for the Legal Rights Center, and worked for Flyte Tyme Productions.
Champion is Co-Founder/Director of Excelsior Choir, Executive Director of the Midwest Chapter of the National Association of Minority Contractors, and Program Director of Social Spaces with Stairstep Initiative. He is married and has 3 children.
Champion's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"Boby Joe Champion is proud of his 96% lifetime voting record with the Minnesota AFL-CIO and is a strong voice for working families in the Minnesota legislature. Creating good jobs in our community is Bobby Joe Champion's top priority."
- Excerpt:"Quality public schools form the backbone of our community. The Minneapolis public schools continue to face challenges, many of them forced onto us by the state's unwillingness to properly fund our schools. Bobby Joe Champion is an advocate for early childhood education programs, keeping our North Minneapolis schools open, closing the achievement gap, lowering class sizes, and ensuring teachers have the resources they need to educate the diverse student population of our district."
- Excerpt:"The federal health care law has made many important improvements in our health care system. Here in Minnesota, it has allowed us to insure 95,000 more Minnesotans. However, there are still more than 46 million Americans without health care insurance, and roughly 500,000 just in Minnesota."
- Excerpt:"Home foreclosures continue to rip apart our neighborhoods in North Minneapolis. This is an issue that has affected everyone in North Minneapolis, whether you were foreclosed on, or if you have seen boarded up houses depress the value of your home. "
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Champion served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Finance, Vice-chair|
|• Transportation and Public Safety|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Champion served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Judiciary Policy and Finance|
|• Transportation Policy and Finance|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Champion served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Civil Justice|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
In November 2011, Champion announced he would run for state Senate District 58 in 2012. Current DFL incumbent Linda Higgins announced she will not be seeking re-election. Champion was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated Jim Lilly (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 59, General Election, 2012|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 58B (2010)|
|Bobby Joe Champion (DFL)||6,990||80.79%|
|Gary Mazzotta (R)||1,636||18.91%|
Bobby Joe Champion raised $19,919 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 58B (2008)|
|Bobby Joe Champion (DFL)||11,960||80.36%|
|Yoman Brunson (R)||1,912||12.85%|
|Roger Smithrud (I)||939||6.31%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Champion received $16,994 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bobby Joe Champion's campaign in 2010|
|Champion, Bobby J||$1,287|
|Minnesota Teachers Retirement Association||$600|
|Minneapolis Federation Of Teachers Local 59||$600|
|Minnesota Association Of Realtors||$600|
|Total Raised in 2010||$16,994|
- Bobby Joe Champion's personal website
- Minnesota House of Representatives - Rep. Bobby Joe Champion
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Champion
- ↑ "champion4change," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Twin Cities Daily Planet, "Sen. Higgins won't run after 2012, Champion will," November 27, 2011
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- ↑ 2008 General Election Results
- ↑ Follow the Money's report on Joe Champion's 2008 campaign contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
Kari Dziedzic (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 59
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 58B
| Succeeded by|
Pat Garofalo (R)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |
Data Practices Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |