Brandon Hall recall, Grand Haven School Board, Michigan (2010)
Jennifer Williams was appointed in May 2010 to take the seat that was made vacant by Hall resigned.
Two separate groups supported the recall effort.
Board member Hall has been sentenced by a Michigan court for stealing about $750 from a school fundraiser led by students for the American Cancer Society. Language in the official recall petition says, "Mr. Hall's criminal conviction and resulting sanctions have shaken the community's confidence in him and have drastically reduced, if not eliminated, his ability to perform the functions of a School Board Trustee."
Hall initially told the local press that he would resign from the board if a planned appeal of his conviction failed to overturn the sentence. He therefore, at least initially, felt that the planned recall was unnecessary. In mid-April, Hall said that he would resign effective September 7. Recall organizers then said they planned to go ahead with the recall anyway, because they had some doubts about whether Hall would follow through on his promised resignation.
Path to the ballot
Recall organizers would have had to collect about 4,130 signatures to force a recall vote.
The Ottawa County Election Commission approved recall petition language during a hearing on April 15.
Signatures would have to have been collected by July 30 to force a recall election.
- The Muskegon Chronicle, "Recall effort targets Grand Haven school board member Brandon Hall," March 29, 2010
- Muskegon Chronicle, "Recall effort over: Brandon Hall's resignation from Grand Haven School Board accepted, but he's not leaving seat until Sept. 7," April 22, 2010
- Muskegon Chronicle, "Grand Haven School board seat filled," May 29, 2010
- WHTC, "Recall Effort Rally Tonight in Grand Haven," April 15, 2010
- WZZM 13, "Convicted Grand Haven school board member faces possible recall," March 30, 2010
- Muskegon Chronicle, "Language approved for recall of Grand Haven School Board member Brandon Hall," April 16, 2010
- Grand Haven Tribune, "Hall says recall is 'unnecessary'," March 30, 2010
- Muskegon Chronicle, "Brandon Hall says he'll resign from Grand Haven School Board -- but wants to stay in office for several months," April 17, 2010
- Muskegon Chronicle, "Recall effort against Brandon Hall to continue despite Grand Haven school board member's plan to resign," April 20, 2010
- Grand Haven Tribune, "Brandon Hall recall language approved," April 15, 2010