For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 84|
|High school||Green Run High School|
|Bachelor's||Old Dominion University|
McKenzie has a Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Old Dominion University. He is also a graduate of the Sorensen Program for Political Leadership at the University of Virginia and the Virginia Beach Leadership Institute. He has worked as a teacher at Norview High School and a legislative assistant to Delegate Robert Mathieson (D) and Senator Dave Marsden (D). He served on the Virginia Beach School Board from 2008 to 2012, and he was appointed to the Governor's State Advisory Board for Juvenile Justice.
- Excerpt: "Brent will introduce legislation that will increase teacher and employee salaries, reduce bureaucracy and the number of SOL’s, and invest in a 21st Century education for all our students."
- Creating jobs and diversifying our economy
- Excerpt: "Brent will introduce legislation that will streamline state programs that assist small businesses and keep taxes low. He will work to bring new opportunities to Virginia Beach through investing in new energy sources, rebuilding our infrastructure, and providing tax credits for small businesses that hire new employees."
- Honoring the service of active duty and veterans
- Excerpt: "Brent will introduce legislation that will offer tax credits for businesses that hire veterans; ease school enrollment and sports participation for dependents; Protect in-state college tuition for active duty, veterans, and dependents."
- Excerpt: "Brent will introduce legislation that will require an annual audit of VDOT; put all transportation funds into a lock box so that it can’t be raided for other items; fund projects that benefit Virginia Beach, utilize smart growth planning; and reform the Public-Private Partnership Act to protect the tax payer."
McKenzie ran in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 84. McKenzie ran unopposed in the June 11th Democratic Primary. He was defeated by Glenn Davis (R) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 84 General Election, 2013|
A Virginia Beach-area seat left open by the departure of Salvatore Iaquinto (R), this district gave Governor Bob McDonnell (R) 64 percent of the vote in 2009 but President Barack Obama (D) fought presidential candidate Mitt Romney (R) to a near draw in this district in 2012. Glenn Davis (R) was elected to the Virginia Beach City Council in 2008, and McKenzie served on the Virginia Beach School Board from 2008 to 2012. The district's Republican leanings suggested that this seat would not change parties, but if the Democrats find themselves having a very good election night, this seat may be contestable.
In 2013, McKenzie’s endorsements included the following:
- Virginia Education Association
- Women's Strike Force
- LGBT Democrats of Virginia
- Planned Parenthood of Virginia
- The Sierra Club
McKenzie lives in Virginia Beach, VA.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Brent + McKenzie + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- Democracy for America profile
- Candidate Facebook page
- Candidate Twitter feed
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Progressive Majority profile
- Flickr image
- Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership Profile page
- Virginia House Democrats candidates guide
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "2013 Official Candidates List for House of Delegates by District," accessed July 11, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Brent McKenzie - Biography," accessed September 9, 2013
- Krent McKenzie, "Issues," accessed September 18, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- VPAP, "House of Delegates District 84," accessed October 3, 2013
- Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |