Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia Senate District 22|
|Bachelor's||Longwood College, 1992|
|Master's||University of London|
|Ph.D.||University of London|
|Place of birth||Washington D.C.|
|Profession||Associate Professor, Longwood University|
Bates earned his bachelor's degree in Anthropology and Political Science from Longwood University in 1992. He went on to receive a master's degree and Ph.D. in Archaeology from the University of London. He currently works as an associate professor of Anthropology at Longwood University.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
|Virginia State Senate Republican Primary, 2011|
Bates' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Virginia’s Heartland Needs A Strong Voice in Richmond to Protect Our Interests
- The Abuse of the U.S. Constitution by the Federal Government is rampant.
- Excerpt: "I will support legal challenges to federal government power grabs such as Obamacare... For far too long, state legislatures have failed to challenge the federal government when it passes laws and regulations..."
- In the State Budget Unfunded Mandates are Hurting Virginians.
- Excerpt: "In Virginia, unfunded mandates from Richmond have cost local taxpayers millions of dollars. In regards to the state budget, I will not support a cut in funding to local governments unless it is matched – dollar for dollar – with cuts in the mandates that the state passes on to local governments."
Virginia’s Heartland Needs A Representative Who Will Respect and Care for the Taxpayers’ Money
- From broken State bureaucracies and a derailed welfare system to activist judges, the government in Richmond has gotten out of control.
- Excerpt: "No one wants more government on their backs. I will be a voice for putting government in its proper place in society. The free ride is over."
- Excerpt: "I have taken the American for Tax Reform’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge. I will not support any tax increases."
- Activist Judges Have Cost Taxpayers Millions of Dollars
- Excerpt: "The Senate approves judicial appointments. I will oppose the appointment of any activist judges."
- Excerpt: "I will push for greater reforms in programs where wasteful spending is draining our limited resources. One such area is in social welfare programs."
Virginia’s Heartland Needs A Pro-Business Leader Who Has Created Jobs
- I have been able to focus on Job Creation and Business Development in a way that an attorney or lobbyist cannot
- Excerpt: "I brought the entire community together to bring the Bear Garden Power Plant to Buckingham... Since 2008 that project created 700 jobs (approximately 40% of them in the 22nd District), and generated over $1.5 million in tax revenue to the county..."
- A Jobs Senator Who Will Work With Business Leaders To Recruit More business and Industry to Our Region
- Excerpt: "Within the first year that I am in the Senate I will appoint a 22nd District Council for Business Recruitment and Job Creation."
Virginia’s Heartland Needs A Citizen Leader Who Will Put His Neighbors First
- I am not climbing the political ladder- I want to serve my neighbors
- Excerpt: "I ran for local elected office to help my community and I feel that I have been able to help the people in Buckingham through my work on the Board of Supervisors."
- I am a 23-year member of the Toga Volunteer Fire Department
- Excerpt: "The government cannot make us do these things – good people across the Commonwealth get involved in their communities because they care. In fact, the government puts up obstacles to volunteerism more often than not."
Richmond Needs A Pro-Life Conservative Whose Values Come From Virginia’s Heartland
- I am pro-life.
- Excerpt: "I will oppose any legislation that will increase access to abortions. I will support legislation targeted at education on alternatives to abortion for those who are considering an abortion."
- Criminal immigration
- Excerpt: "I will support legislation akin to Arizona HB1070 that empowers local and state law enforcement agencies to enforce federal immigration laws when they become aware of violations."
- Eminent Domain
- Excerpt: "I will vote for the amendment to the Virginia Constitution that will restrict the eminent domain powers of the government, thus protecting property owner’s rights."
- Gun Owner’s Rights
- Excerpt: "I am a member of the National Rifle Association and I am strongly Pro-2nd Amendment. I will oppose any legislation that will limit our unalienable right to keep and bear arms."
- I will actively support Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli’s efforts to overturn Obamacare.
- Excerpt: "Obamacare is “government on your back” on steroids."