|Utah State Senate District 8|
|January 1, 2013 - present|
|January 1, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$95/day (lodging) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Shiozawa served on the following committees:
|Utah Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Shiozawa served on the following committees:
|Utah Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Operations and Political Subdivisions|
|• Health and Human Services|
Shiozawa's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"We can significantly lower health care costs through medical liability reforms and still maintain high quality care and fair compensation for injury. We need innovations in health care policy and delivery. For more information about my thoughts regarding healthcare reform, visit my blog. "
- Excerpt:"We need good, responsive programs and curricula to stay competitive and give our children the best start for careers and higher education. We need a good partnership between parents and schools."
- Excerpt:"We need safe, drug free, harassment free schools. We need drug free and distraction free streets and highways. We should not be fearful to drive, nor live in our homes or walk in our neighborhoods. We need strong support for our police, fire and emergency medical services."
Support for Small Business
- Excerpt:"These are the core of our economy and our stability: help our employers prosper to keep hiring and retaining their work forces and keep unemployment down. We need fair regulations and lower taxes to keep our business strong."
Honesty and Ethics
- Excerpt:"Elect hardworking, honest and responsible local and state leaders who will work for their communities. We need clear rules for ethical government leadership."
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2012
Shiozawa won election in the 2012 election for Utah State Senate District 8. Shiozawa defeated Raymond J. Poole and Jaren Davis in the Republican convention and defeated Josie Valdez (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Utah State Senate, District 8, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Shiozawa is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Shiozawa raised a total of $108,586 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 10, 2013.
|Brian Shiozawa's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Utah State Senate, District 8||$108,586|
|Grand Total Raised||$108,586|
2012Shiozawa won election to the Utah State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Shiozawa raised a total of $108,586.
|Utah State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Brian Shiozawa's campaign in 2012|
|Senate Republican Campaign Cmte Of Utah||$7,000|
|Utah Association Of Realtors||$5,442|
|Utah County Legislative PAC||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$108,586|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Planned Parenthood Action Council: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on legislation related to women’s health, access to reproductive health care and education.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills picked by Sutherland that promote conservative policy.
- Parents for Choice in Education: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on the issue of education.
- Utah Sierra Club: 2013/2014 Legislative Scorecards
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to environmental and conservation issues.
- Utah Taxpayers Association: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Utah Taxpayers Association: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on taxpayer related bills.
- Utahns Against Common Core: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills relating to Common Core reforms.
- Legislators are scored based on their votes in relation to the organization's "mission to defend individual liberty, private property and free enterprise."
The Libertas Institute Index
The Libertas Institute is a libertarian-leaning think tank located in Utah. Each year the organization releases a Legislative Index for Utah State Representatives and Senators.
Brian Shiozawa received an index rating of 19%.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Brian + Shiozawa + Utah + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Utah State Legislature
- Utah State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Utah Joint Committees
- Utah state legislative districts
- Sen. Shiozawa's website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012
Karen Morgan (D)
|Utah Senate District 8
| Succeeded by|