Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Mississippi Public Service Commissioner, Central District|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||August 2, 2011|
|Next primary||August 4, 2015|
|Bachelor's||Alcorn State University (1978)|
|J.D.||Southern University (1996)|
Burton is a private practice attorney based in Jackson, Mississippi. He is the founder and owner of Burton Law Firm, which specializes in personal injury.
Burton was born and raised on a farm in Shaw, Miss., where he worked in rice and bean fields and chopped cotton, among other manual labor and food service jobs.
He holds a B.A. from Alcorn State University and a J.D. from Southern Universtiy. He studied counseling and sociology at Delta State University after completing his undergraduate degree and was enrolled in a Ph.D. program at Jackson State University during his 2010 campaign for circuit court judge.
In October 2000, four years after graduating from law school, Burton started his own practice, Burton Law Firm. The firm, where he works alongside his wife, attorney Cheryl Burton, deals mainly with "serious personal injuries."
Prior to establishing his own firm, Burton's legal experience included working for Southwest Mississippi Legal Services, Lumumba, Freelon & Associates and Walls Law Firm, located in McComb, Jackson and Greenwood, respectively. He has also worked as a substitute teacher.
- B.A - Alcorn State University (1978)
- J.D. - Southern University (1996)
Burton is running for election to the Mississippi Public Service Commission, representing the Central District. He is seeking the Democratic nomination in the primary on August 4. The general election will take place on November 3, 2015.
Burton ran for Hinds County Court, representing District 2, in the 2014 judicial elections. He faced five opponents in the general election on November 4, 2014, and drew 185 votes, finishing in last place.
Burton sought the Democratic primary nomination for the Central District seat on the Mississippi Public Service Commission in the primary election on August 2, 2011. He narrowly lost the primary to Addie Green.
|Mississippi Public Service Commissioner, Central District, 2011|
|Election Results Via: Mississippi Democratic Party|
- See also: Mississippi judicial elections, 2010
Burton ran for the Mississippi Seventh Judicial District, Place 1 in 2010. His campaign was nearly all self-funded. Burton was defeated by Jeff Weill in the November 2 general election, taking only 14 percent of the vote.
Burton resides in Jackson with his wife, Cheryl Burton, a fellow attorney with whom he runs Burton Law Firm.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Bruce + Burton + Mississippi + Public + Service + Commissioner"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi Public Service Commission
- Mississippi Public Service Commission election, 2015
- Mississippi down ballot state executive elections, 2011
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Burton Law Firm website
- Office of the Mississippi Secretary of State: Elections & Voting
- Mississippi Democratic Party, "2015 Statements of Intent: Candidate spreadsheet," accessed February 3, 2015
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Mississippi Democratic Party Primary Certified Results," August 16, 2011
- Jackson Free Press, "The Ability to Discern," October 17, 2015
- Clarion Ledger, "3 candidates vying for judicial post held by retiring Hinds judge," October 13, 2010
- Burton Law Firm, "Meet the Attorneys," accessed Feburary 20, 2015
- Jackson Free Press, "Meet the Judicial Candidates," October 27, 2010
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Hinds County, Mississippi, Election Commission, "2014 General Election Results," accessed February 20, 2015
- Qualifying Candidates
- NEMS360.com, "Judicial Race Results," November 3, 2010
- Mississippi Secretary of State, Sample Official Election Ballot, 2010 General Election
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2010 General Election Results by County," accessed June 10, 2014
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |