|Georgia State Senate District 49|
|May 2010 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||May 11, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Miller served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Transportation, Vice Chair|
|• Banking and Financial Institutions|
|• Education and Youth|
|• Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Overview|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Miller served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• State and Local Governmental Operations, Chair|
|• Agriculture and Consumer Affairs|
|• Economic Development|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014; a runoff election will take place where necessary on July 22, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent Cecil T. "Butch" Miller is unopposed in the Republican primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Miller ran in the 2012 election for Georgia State Senate District 49. Miller ran unopposed in the Republican primary on July 31, 2012. No Democratic candidate filed to run for this seat. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Miller ran unopposed in the general election.
|Georgia State Senate, District 49, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Butch Miller Incumbent||100%||50,628|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2010
| Georgia State Senate, District 49 |
2010 General election results
|Butch Miller (R)||41,395||100.0%|
He defeated Jimmy Norman in the July 20 primary.
|Georgia State Senate, District 49 - Republican Primary (2010)|
2010 special election
On May 11, 2010, Miller won election to the Georgia Senate from Georgia's 49th Senate district in a special election to replace Lee Hawkins. Miller received 10,771 votes in the election, defeating Jimmy Norman (R), who received 1,983 votes, and Brandon Givens (L), who received 1,130 votes.
|Georgia Senate, District 49|
|Butch Miller (R)||10,771||77.6%|
|Jimmy Norman (R)||1,983||14.3%|
|Brandon Givens (L)||1,130||8.1%|
Comprehensive donor information for Miller is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Miller raised a total of $398,710 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 22, 2013.
|Butch Miller's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Georgia State Senate, District 49||$118,790|
|2010||Georgia State Senate, District 49||$279,920|
|Grand Total Raised||$398,710|
2012Miller won re-election to the Georgia State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Miller raised a total of $118,790.
|Georgia State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Butch Miller's campaign in 2012|
|James A Walters Management Co||$2,500|
|Pope, Sue Ellen||$2,500|
|Georgia Optometric Association||$2,250|
|Total Raised in 2012||$118,790|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Miller won re-election to the Georgia State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Miller raised a total of $279,920.
|Georgia State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Butch Miller's campaign in 2010|
|Noga Consulting Services||$2,400|
|J & B Property Management||$2,400|
|Cmte to Elect Donald R Thomas||$2,300|
|Total Raised in 2010||$279,920|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Butch + Miller + Georgia + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Butch Miller on the Georgia State Senate website
- Butch Miller for State Senate - official campaign site
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Butch Miller's YouTube channel
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Athens Banner Herald, "Miller takes Senate 49 seat; Graves and Hawkins to face off," May 12, 2010
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Slate of Georgia Officials Back Newt Gingrich for President," December 13, 2011
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 10, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "GA - Election Results," accessed May 28, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division, "Candidate List" accessed May 29, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Georgia Elections Division, "2012 Election Results" accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Secretary of State - 2010 Election results
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official 2010 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Georgia Senate official special election results for 2010
- followthemoney.org, "Miller, Butch," accessed August 22, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 4, 2014
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
|Georgia State Senate District 49
| Succeeded by|