California 1996 ballot propositions
1996 ballot in California, divided between the March 26 statewide primary ballot and the November 5 ballot.27 statewide ballot propositions were on the
- Altogether, 14 of the propositions were approved.
- 13 were defeated.
- 12 propositions were on the March ballot.
- 15 propositions were on the November ballot.
- 10 of the 27 ballot propositions were referred to the ballot by the California State Legislature. 8 of the 10 were approved.
- The remaining 17 were ballot initiatives, petitioned onto the ballot.
On the ballot
|LBM||Proposition 192||Bonds||Provides for a bond issue of two billion dollars to provide funds for a seismic retrofit program|
|Proposition 193||Tax reform||New appraisal of real property upon purchase or transfer between grandparents and their grandchild not required|
|LRSS||Proposition 194||Policing||Prisoner's employment in prison does not entitle prisoner to unemployment benefits upon release|
|LRSS||Proposition 195||Policing||Murder during a carjacking, and murder of jurors, added to special circumstances that permit death penalty|
|LRSS||Proposition 196||Policing||Intentional murder by shooting from a motor vehicle added to list of special circumstances for death penalty|
|LRSS||Proposition 197||Hunting||Repeal mountain lion's status as specially protected mammal|
|CISS||Proposition 198||Elections||Qualified voters can vote for any candidate regardless of the candidate's political affiliation|
|CISS||Proposition 199||Rent control||Phases out local rent control laws on mobile homes|
|CISS||Proposition 200||Regulation||Requires insurer to pay benefits regardless of who is at fault in most motor vehicle accidents|
|CISS||Proposition 201||Judiciary||Requires losing party to pay winning party's legal fees in shareholder actions against corporations|
|CISS||Proposition 202||Judiciary||Limits contingency fees which plaintiffs' attorneys may collect|
|LBM||Proposition 203||Bonds||$3 billion in funds for schools|
|LBM||Proposition 204||Bonds||$995 million in state funds for water projects|
|LBM||Proposition 205||Bonds||$700 million to provide funds for local juvenile and adult correctional facilities|
|LBM||Proposition 206||Bonds||$400 million to provide farm and home aid for California veterans|
|CISS||Proposition 207||Judiciary||Prohibit restrictions on the right to negotiate amount of attorneys' fees|
|CISS||Proposition 208||Elections||Limits on a contributor's campaign contributions|
|Proposition 209||Affirmative action||Ban discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment/contracting|
|CISS||Proposition 210||Minimum wage||Minimum wage increase to $5.00 per hour on March 1, 1997, and to $5.75 per hour on March 1, 1998|
|CISS||Proposition 211||Judiciary||Prohibits restrictions on attorney-client fee arrangements|
|CISS||Proposition 212||Elections||Repeals existing law limiting gifts and prohibiting honoraria received by public officials|
|CISS||Proposition 213||Judiciary||Convicted felons can't recover damages if their injuries were sustained in committing/fleeing their crime|
|CISS||Proposition 214||Healthcare||Restrictions on certain healthcare industry informational practices|
|CISS||Proposition 215||Marijuana||Exempts patients and primary caregivers from criminal liability for possessing and growing marijuana|
|CISS||Proposition 216||Healthcare||Healthcare, comsumer protection and taxes on corporate re-structuring.|
|CISS||Proposition 217||Taxes||Reinstate 10% and 11% tax rates on taxable incomes over $115,000 and $230,000|
|Proposition 218||Taxes||Limits authority of local governments to impose taxes and property-related assessments|
|Laws • History|
|List of propositions|
- California ballot propositions from 1912-present
- Laws governing the initiative process in California
- California signature requirements
- History of Initiative and Referendum in California
- Official Voter Guide to the November 5, 1996 ballot propositions
- Official Voter Guide to the March 26, 1996 ballot propositions
- November 5, 1996 California election results
- March 26, 1996 California elections results
- PDF of the March 26 voter guide
- PDF of the March 26 voter guide (Proposition 203 only)
- PDF of the November 5 voter guide