California 2000 ballot propositions
Twenty-eight statewide ballot propositions were on the 2000 ballot in California. Ballot proposition elections took place twice, first during the March 7, 2000 statewide primary and then again in the November 7, 2000 general election.
- Twenty statewide propositions were on the March ballot. Of these, twelve were approved and eight defeated.
- Eight propositions appeared on the November ballot. Of these, five were approved and three defeated.
- There were 15 citizen-initiated measures, including 3 veto referenda on the March and November ballots taken together. Of these, six passed.
- Two of the three veto referenda failed.
- As of the end of 2000, a cumulative total of 275 initiatives (counting citizen-initiated constitutional amendments and citizen-initiated state statutes and not counting veto referenda) had appeared on California ballots since the first initiatives in 1912.
On the ballot
|Proposition 1A||Gambling||Gambling on tribal lands|
|LBM||Proposition 12||Bonds||$2.1 billion in bonds for water projects, forest and open space acquisition|
|LBM||Proposition 13||Bonds||$1.97 billion in bonds for water projects|
|LBM||Proposition 14||Bonds||$350 million in bonds for libraries and literacy programs|
|LBM||Proposition 15||Bonds||$220 million in bonds for Hertzberg-Polanco crime labs construction|
|LBM||Proposition 16||Bonds||$50 million in bonds for veterans|
|Proposition 17||Gambling||Non-profits allowed to conduct lotteries and charitable raffles|
|LRSS||Proposition 18||Law enforcement||Special circumstances where no possibility of parole is available for murder convictions|
|LRSS||Proposition 19||Law enforcement||Extend who is defined as a police officer for special circumstance murder trials|
|LRSS||Proposition 20||Gambling||Part of California state lottery proceeds for textbooks|
|CISS||Proposition 21||Law enforcement||Juvenile crime treatment provisions|
|CISS||Proposition 22||Marriage||Limit on marriages|
|CISS||Proposition 23||Elections||"None of the Above" ballot option|
|Prop 24||Removed from ballot by the California Supreme Court|
|CISS||Proposition 25||Elections and campaigns||Campaign contribution and spending limits|
|Proposition 26||Education||Allow local school bonds to be approved by majority, rather than supermajority, vote|
|CISS||Proposition 27||Term limits||Declaration of position on term limits to appear on ballot|
|CISS||Proposition 28||Taxes||Repeal "First Five" tobacco surtax|
|VR||Proposition 29||Gambling||1998 Indian gaming compacts|
|VR||Proposition 30||Business regulation||Insurance claims practices, civil remedies|
|VR||Proposition 31||Business regulation||Limits on third-party claimant lawsuits in insurance proceedings|
|LBM||Proposition 32||Bonds||Veterans' bond act ($500 million)|
|Proposition 33||State legislature||Legislative participation in retirement system|
|LRSS||Proposition 34||Elections and campaigns||Campaign spending limits, disclosure|
|Proposition 35||Admin of gov't||Governing engineering/architectural contracts on public works|
|CISS||Proposition 36||Marijuana||Probation and treatment|
|Proposition 37||Taxes||Redefines some fees as taxes|
|Proposition 38||School choice||Allow school choice|
|Proposition 39||Education||Authorizes local school bond issues for certain uses if approved by 55%|
- List of California ballot propositions from 1912-present
- History of Initiative and Referendum in California
- Laws governing I&R in California
Struck from ballot
- Official California Voter Guide for the March ballot proposition election
- Official California Voter Guide for the November 7, 2000 ballot proposition election
- Official declaration of the March 7, 2000 vote
- Official declaration of the November 7, 2000 vote
- Official March 7, 2000 Ballot Proposition Voter Guide for Propositions 1A and 12-29 (PDF of paper version)]
- Official March 7, 2000 Ballot Proposition Voter Guide for Propositions 30 and 31 (PDF of paper version)
- Official November 7, 2000 Ballot Proposition Voter Guide for Propositions 32-39 (PDF of paper version)
- Spending on 2000 California ballot measures