California Internet Poker Statute (2008)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
|Voting on Gambling|
|Not on ballot|
Initiative 1256. (07-0017), also known as Pothole Repair Funded by Online Poker Act was a statutory initiative that would have established State Online Poker Games. The site would have generated revenue through “rake” (a percentage amount of funds wagered by players) and tournament entry fees. Players would have to be at least 21 years of age and reside in
- Other states and localities where local law does not prohibit participation.
The measure provided that the state may enter into revenue-sharing and similar agreements with other states, localities, and federally recognized Indian tribes in California related to the Internet site. Of the Internet site’s net revenues, 80 percent would be apportioned on a per capita basis to incorporated cities and towns to repair potholes and broken streets, 10 percent would be allocated to counties for pothole and street repair in unincorporated areas, and the remaining 10 percent would be allocated to a state government fund that provides moneys to organizations that assist persons with gambling addiction problems.
- Increase in revenues for (1) cities and counties to use for pothole and street repair and (2) the state to use for gambling addiction assistance programs. This increase could easily be in the tens of millions of dollars annually.
- Reduction in other tax and gambling-related revenues for the state and local governments. This reduction could offset a significant amount of the net revenues from the state poker site.
- Laws governing the initiative process in California
- California 2008 ballot propositions
- Campaign finance requirements for California ballot measures
- California signature requirements
- Petition drive deadlines in 2008
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 | 2016 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
California school districts A - L |
California school districts M - Z |