California Proposition 1C, Higher Education Facilities Bond Act (1994)
Proposition 1C was for a $900 million bond for construction money for public colleges and universities in California.
Text of measure
The ballot title was:
- "This act provides for a bond issue of nine hundred million dollars ($900,000,000) to provide funds for the strengthening, upgrading and constructing of public colleges and universities throughout the state. Appropriates money from State General Fund to pay off bonds."
The ballot summary was:
- "To renew California's economic vitality and to regain our state's high quality of life, this act authorizes a bond issue of $900,000,000 for the strengthening, upgrading and constructing of public colleges and universities throughout the state. These projects will create jobs and strengthen the state's economy by providing adult and student job training opportunities and by enabling public colleges and universities to prepare a well trained and competitive workforce. They will repair and rebuild college classrooms, which will strengthen college campuses to prevent injuries in future earthquakes. They will provide alternative to crime and gangs by ensuring access to higher education. They will improve the quality of learning at public campuses by improving classrooms and providing modern teaching technologies. Authorized projects for the 136 public campuses include, but are not necessarily limited to, earthquake and other health and safety improvements, upgrading of laboratories to keep up with scientific advances, improving and modernizing campus computer capabilities and construction of classrooms and libraries. No moneys derived from the sale of the bonds will be expended for administrative overhead."
Path to the ballot
The California State Legislature voted to put Proposition 1C on the ballot via SB 46.
The vote in the state legislature to refer 1C to the ballot was:
- June 7, 1994 supplemental voter guide
- Statement of vote, California June 7, 1994 statewide elections
- Los Angeles Law Library, 1994 ballot propositions
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 | 2016 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |