Cape Girardeau City Smoking Ban Question (April 2010)
This measure was defeated
- YES 3,673 (47.89%)
- NO 3,997 (52.11%)
This measure asked residents if they wanted to ban smoking inside public indoors area such as bars, restaurants, privater clubs and casinos. This measure was brought forth by a petition effort by local residents and the city council voted to put it on the April ballot rather than accept it out right. The council at first voted down the measure, leaving others to wonder what would of happened if it was voted down then it would of had to be approved.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
| Shall the City of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, adopt an Ordinance proposed by the initiative process of the City Charter entitled the "Cape
Girardeau Smoke-Free Air Act" to prohibit smoking in indoor workplaces and public places, as defined therein, including aquariums, galleries, libraries and museums; areas available to the public in businesses and non-profit entities, such as banks, laundromats, professional offices and retail service establishments; bars; bingo facilities; licensed child care and adult care facilities; convention facilities; public and private educational facilities; elevators; gaming facilities; health care facilities; at least eighty percent (80%) of hotel and motel rooms; polling places, public transportation vehicles, and ticket, boarding and waiting areas of public transportation facilities; restaurants; restrooms, lobbies, reception areas, hallways and other commonuse areas; retail stores; rooms and places of meeting, including school buildings, under the control of the City of Cape Girardeau or a political subdivision of the State; service lines; sports arenas; theaters; enclosed facilities within places of employment, including auditoriums, classrooms, meeting rooms, private offices, cafeterias, employee lounges, and stairs; all private and semi-private rooms in nursing homes; within a reasonable distance of outside entrances, windows and ventilation systems; and including enforcement and penalty provisions; as set forth in the proposed Ordinance?
- Southeast Missourian, "Cape Girardeau City Council to discuss smoking ban's casino effects today," December 6, 2010
- Southeast Missourian, "Cape Girardeau City Council wants closer look at smoking ban," December 7, 2010
- Cape Girardeau County, April Election Results
- Southeast Missourian, "Cape Girardeau voters to decide smoking ban April 5," January 16, 2011
- Southeast Missourian, "Cape Girardeau smoking ban falls short of five council votes needed to put measure on ballot," January 11, 2011
- Cape Girardeau County Elections, April Sample Ballot
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Missouri
Jefferson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor & Industrial Relations | Chairman of Public Service Commission |