|Minnesota State Senate District 26|
|2011 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2003 - 2005|
|Master's||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||May 22, 1957|
|Profession||Teacher/Owner Insurance and Investment Firm|
Nelson is an educator and small business owner. Since leaving the Minnesota House, Carla has owned and operated an insurance and investment firm. She also is certified as a reading specialist, receiving her certification from the University of Minnesota.
Nelson received a Bachelor of Science degree in Education from Drake University with an emphasis in Special Education. Carla earned her Master of Education in Teacher Leadership from the University of Minnesota.
Nelson's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt:"As a small business owner, Carla knows we must improve Minnesota’s private sector job climate through lower taxation and smarter regulation. Minnesota is one of the least job friendly states in the nation. We must change this to keep and expand Minnesota jobs!"
- Excerpt:"Carla will solve the massive looming budget deficit using a balanced approach. Increase revenues through increased economic activity. Hold a lid on and reduce job-killing tax burdens in an already highly taxed state. Reduce the size of government focus on priorities and increase results."
- Excerpt:"Lawmakers must correct our school funding formulas to remove large funding disparities between school districts. Student achievement must be the focus of education reform and funding."
- Excerpt:"Carla is an advocate for patient-centered health care. She will fight to preserve patient choice and will work to reform the payment system to reward outcomes. Carla authored legislation that formed the cutting edge Minnesota Partnership between Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Nelson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Health, Human Services and Housing|
|• Jobs, Agriculture and Rural Development|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Nelson served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Economies|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Education, Vice-chair|
|• Jobs and Economic Growth|
|• Local Government and Elections|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
|Minnesota State Senate, District 26, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Carla Nelson Incumbent||55.7%||22,263|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2010
|Minnesota State Senate, District 30 (2010)|
|Carla Nelson (R)||16,757||54.30%|
|Ann Lynch (DFL)||14,056||45.55%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Nelson raised $70,504 in contributions. 
Her four largest contributors were:
|Nelson Carla Jean House Dist 30A Cmte||$14,014|
|1st Congressional District RPM||$2,700|
|Nelson, Carla J||$1,143|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Carla + Nelson + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- MN Senate Approves Day Care Unionization Measure - Northland's NewsCenter
- Minnesota Senate Passes Gay Marriage, Governor To Sign - Huffington Post - Huffington Post
- Poligraph: No certainty on daycare union dues - Minnesota Public Radio
- Minnesota Senate OKs gay marriage; governor to sign - Press Herald
- Minnesota Passes Marriage Equality- Becomes Number 12! - Lez Get Real - Lez Get Real
- Minnesota Lawmakers Approve Gay Marriage, Governor Pledges to Sign - Gospel Herald
- Minnesota Senate passes tax bill on second vote - Pioneer Press
- Dayton signs bill legalizing same-sex marriage - Post-Bulletin
- Minn. OKs gay marriage; governor to sign - GoErie.com
- Senate approves gay marriage bill - Post-Bulletin
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Nelson and her husband Terry have three children.
- Campaign site
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
Mike Parry (R)
|Minnesota State Senate District 26
| Succeeded by|
Ann Lynch (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 30
| Succeeded by|
Mary Kiffmeyer (R)